*Guide to Choosing Parts*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
If people are looking for a power supply to use on a gaming rig with nVidia SLi video card setups, you can find nVidia's own SLi-dedicated site that gives their listing of SLi certified power supplies.

http://www.slizone.com/

Then, just put your mouse over "Certified Products" at the top, then click on "Power Supplies" in the pop-up list that appears.

There you will find all the power supplies that nVidia has rated for use with specific SLi setups that you might be considering on a gaming PC.

Excellent thread. I certainly see nothing worthy of an argument. To niggle, I think the Coolermaster RC-690 is an outstanding case, but it usually gets mentioned in individual build threads. Another good place to buy (I've found good deals on CPUs) is Microcenter.com.
More trivial, you're missing an "L" in "spectacularLy" when describing the epic fail of cheap PSUs.
Your approach "This is how it is. Click here to learn why, or to learn more" is good, and can keep this shorter.

I haven't had my hands on that case yet... mostly it's not on my list because I think it's ugly :)

That's why I would like to take my list and move it away and put in links in the second post for individual parts lists.... personal parts picks should not be piggy-backed on a general advice article.

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Awesome, Just Awesome. I am having a hell of a time with my Blue bomber build and if I had read this first I probably would have gone another way. Any good books covering hardware the people have found usefull?

icyicy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
A few things I noticed, the suggestion for 9800GT which is effectively a more pricey 8800GT (no differences other than the sticker on it), the Antec "Basiq" line sadly is just as bad as any other cheap PSU that explodes spectacularly, I never understood why they even tarnished their good name with it, the actual most commonly used P45 motherboard is the ASUS P5Q Pro (which crossfires and overclocks perfectly) just as the P5Q-E but is cheaper.

And the part about duals vs quads takes some discussion too but I'll leave that to the experts.

The 9800GT at newegg starts at $120.00

The 8800GT is quickly disappearing, but I do see a few left, starting at $150.

I think the P5Q pro is a great board. I think if you wanted an inexpensive crossfire board, and didn't mind the slight performance hit compared to the x38/x48s, it would be good. [strike]The price difference is actually greater now than it was compared to the -E, so I need to put it in.[/strike] Well, that didn't last long. $14 difference atm and another $15 with rebate.
The -E seems to me to be the better choice for overclockers or those concerned more with quality than price.

Once you get beyond the bling, I think the pictures of the two boards say alot:
2269_l.jpg
2267_l.jpg

The number of solid capacitors around the CPU indicate to me better regulation

hamitaltintop22

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Hey Proximon,

You helped me with building my first build 2 months ago. And I am happy with it. Building the pc turn me into a pc addict. I can't resist looking at hardware reviews and news everyday. I am not as much a noob as before I guess.

Anyway, I think you have to decide between 9800gt (AKA 8800gt) or the new hd 4830. I don't care what anyone says the 9800gt is definitely cheaper, sometimes as much as $25 with rebates. If you choose to recommend the hd 4830 over the 9800gt, you do risk seeming biased since you already recommended the hd 4850 and the hd 4870.

I like that you tried to compile something like this, but I don't think it is going to decrease the number of new build posts. And that is okay. Computer parts vary and sometimes people have specific questions, concerns or expectations for their new build.

And about the 8800gt prices. They are ridiculously expensive at newegg now.
For example, the EVGA 8800gt. I remember this being less than $120 two months ago, and now it is $165!!!!! It is a standard 8800gt, no overclock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130318

Yep and thanks :)

I was looking at benchmarks last night on the 4830. I can't recommend it just yet, because it's the same price as a 4850, or almost. When the price settles in a bit, it will likely replace the 9800GT.

fruees

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Proximon - on the list of UK component retailers, list www.overclockers.co.uk

Me and my friends all regard it as the best in the uk and the only place where prices even resemble those in the U.S (you guys get it so cheap)

Added, thanks!

madaxe

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
This was very informative. Thanks. I'm one of the people who built a system <2005 and went with AMD for most bang-for-buck value.

freezekill

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
This has really given me confidence in my picks for my first build: Antec 900, Antec TPQ-850W, P5Q-E, E8400, G.Skill pi Black PC6400 DDR2, Palit HD4870 1GB Sonic Dual Edition... and of course I picked up a hot 22" HDMI ASUS LCD for cheap (rebate$) on Newegg. God, I love Newegg. Tho I do disagree with you about the WD hdd. Grab the Seagate version. 640GB, 32mb cache (twice the WD) PLUS the AWESOME 5 YEAR WARRANTY on Seagate hdds. WD has only a ONE YEAR WARRANTY.

Good point. I will add some more HDs to the list. HDs are one of those rare areas where we actually have some statisics to go on, and Western Digital is acknowledged to have the best quality, at least last time I checked. I also have some really good experiences with tech support. Of course, the last time a WD failed on me was 1997.

While the WD 320 and 640 are faster, 16MB or not, I'll add some Seagates as well.

pwn

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Yea this really helped me out - Trust me if you don't want noobs like me coming on here asking dumb questions STICKY THIS! :) hehe

freezekill

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I was unaware of the cache unimportance for the 320/640s, thanks. it's just why wouldn't WD supply at least the industry standard three-year warranty for a hdd? ive heard good things about both companies tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.