*Guide to Choosing Parts*

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silent_744

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Was skimming through mainly, I saw someone point out that your post is more intel oritented, maybe you should update your second post and make it an AMD build for extreme budget?

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

well after you get to 16mb cache, any more becomes virtually useless, its basically a marketing ploy. i mean the fastest mechanical drives on the market, the velociraptors "only' have 16mb cache. WD 640GB AAKS drive is fast as it uses two platters :) don't worry about the extra cache in drives, its unnecessary.

olddman

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Thank you Proximon. While reading up on everything and trying to decide on my parts for my first build, I ran across this thread. Was a life saver in the time of things. Rather then reading all the 'check my builds' this was like a index to all the good choices out there. It sure made it easier for me to check parts out and decide.

Kudo's to you my man, and all that may have helped

3lvis

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008

FYI EVGA 780i ship with poorly made Sata cables that cant handle being bent. If your going to go this route factor in new sata cables in your budget.

I've heard some people vote for XFX... not really sure.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
For the Power Supply Section, you should add that the PSU should have "Active PFC".

Any Good PSU will have that, but it will help some readers weed out the bad ones.

jimbob_693

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Im currently building my first PC and have chosen these components, would these work well or are there some obvious things i could do to improve it/make it slightly cheaper?

- Intel core 2 quad Q6600 GO Stepping 2.4Ghz 1066mhz 8mb cache
- ASUS p5Q SE ip45 socket 775 8 channel audio ATX motherboard
- EVGA 8800GT superclocked 512mb GDDR3 DVI HDCP HDTV out PCI-E
- Seagate ST350032OAS 500GB HD SATA II 7200rpm *32mb cache - OEM
- OCZ 2gb kit (2x1Gb) DDR 2 800mhz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 platinum XTC

I would like it to run current top of the range games and be possible to upgrade well in the future.

You bet! And 80 Plus as well.

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
time to update for nov. 08 best vid card for the money article :)
Thanks for your write-up, it's quite convenient and answers a lot of the "noob" questions.

IMO, you could discuss the monitors a bit, just as you do the rest of the components. This becomes especially important with the reduced prices on larger WS monitors, general availability of SLI/XF boards and whatnot.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Very good i love the guide it will be perfect once admins sticky it hopefully :p

Also i didnt see it but link ur parts list to it, the other guide u made. So they read this and then link straight to the lsit

I wish they hadn't broken my signature :p Every time I even edit a post that had my sig the sig disappears.

Anyway, when was the last time you saw someone official post in this forum or respond in the "bugs" forum? granted it's a well-behaved community, but I think the whole moderator/admin thing is a myth here :)

slomo4sho

Distinguished
We have a 9 month old thread that is stickied which no longer has valid information but we can't seem to get this thread a sticky~

Are the forum mods on a indefinite vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.