Gun Owners, Why Do You Own Guns?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My reasons for gun ownership are totally home defense, I live out in the country in a high crime area, most of the crimes are drug related ending in killing the victims, in some worst cases over less than 20 dollars. :pfff:

What has this world come to, when someone would be killed for less than 20 dollars!

That's a Travesty!

Worse was that couple were older and really couldn't defend themselves, why kill them?

If the robbers had wore a mask why would they need to be killed, just pure evil mean behind those actions!

To make things worse we have 2 gangs in the closest county and 3 gangs in the neighboring county, some of the gang members commit crimes as part of their gang initiations.

So to me owning guns for home defense is a No Brainer!

That's why I have them and why they were purchased, what about you?

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

You forgot a few other Hollywood classics...
1. Every bullet sparks when it hits anything other than a soft target.
2. You can have twenty bad guys with automatics showering bullets down on the hero/heroine and yet the good guy can run, duck, roll, and whatever else and as long as his pistol is pointed at the bad guys he will always get a fatal hit.
3. ANY time a cop goes into a potentially dangerous place he racks his slide. Apparently, cops never have a cartridge in the chamber.
4. Anybody can hold two fully automatic guns, one in each hand, and can fire with absolutely no discernible recoil.
5. People can run out of ammo but they never, ever have a hangfire or a misfire.
6. Anyone with even basic martial art skills can grab the top slide of a semiautomatic and disassemble it with the flick of a wrist.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

Ooh, good one.

8. The woman is handed a gun and is scared of it. She drops it and it fires the second it hits the ground. The bullet hits the bad guy and kills him instantly.

9. The good guy is in the fight of his or her life, has a pump shotgun and enters where the assailant is hiding, this will literally come down to, who sees who first, good guy is already in the building hunting for the assailant, hears a noise, then chambers a round?

What?

You entered the building without a round in the chamber, ready to fire?

Are you freaking nuts?

Under the same circumstances IMO you're past caution and safety for that matter, I would have chambered a round before entering the building and had the safety off, finger off the trigger but ready to fire in an instant.

riser

Illustrious
Oh Hollywood, how you guys hate guns yet make all your money off said guns.

I like how Jim Carrey blasted guns yet his movie he was selling was about guns.. or what's his face. Matt Damon.. made his career off killing and shooting. Good ol' Hollywood.

I have a box full (about 20 or so) of supersoaker water pistols ... used exclusively in the pool when the kids were younger.

I often thought of filling a couple of these with pee and going on a rampage at the next German festival ...

Thats about the limit of my violent stream ... er streak.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

I haven't heard about it causing a toll on the wrist. I watched a few episodes of Top Shots, though. Some of those guys can shoot a gnat off an elephant's rear at 100 yards with nothing more than a Ruger or S&W 6 shooter.

riser

Illustrious

Top Shot is awesome. My neighbor at my apartment complex.. most of the 'trainers' on the show are his friends. They all applied to be on it but were told they were too good, so that's where they get the trainers. The guy I know is an expert in any handgun. When he was an air marshal, he said they had to stand unstable moving ground while trying to make a head shot at 50 feet with a hostage in front of the target. You get one shot. If you make it, you pass the shooting portion. If you missed, you didn't qualify.

I'm a good shot holding less than a 3" spread at 50 feet. He's pissed if he doesn't get the entire shot within the black on the bullseye.

Top Shot is famous for making you use their gun pick, you do not get to use your favorite pistol, which can bring some unexpected results in your shooting end results, when what you are familiar with shoots differently than the weapon you are expected to use.

Even though site wise they may all be dialed in as true as possible.

Then it's no longer about how good you think you are, or what you boast, it's about how fast you can adapt to an unfamiliar situation.

Meaning?

For example, the corrections you automatically make that you really do not consciously realize you are making to fire a pistol with left hand twist rifling, are different with a right hand twist rifling pistol, try it and see for yourself.

A pistol recoil or kick is not only affected by the bullet leaving the barrel, it is affected by the spin of the bullet as well and there's no avoiding that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Many never discover this because they only practice with their first choices and they may all be using the same rifling twist.

Not only are your firing corrections different actually firing the pistol, but the bullets spin traveling through the air affects the trajectory as well.

riser

Illustrious
Shooting one hand, I'm a slower, but better shot with my left hand than my right for that exact reason. I have to go through every little step, whereas with my right I tend to go more on muscle memory.

I shot with a top tier competition shooter. He could hit anything at 50' with his little .22. When he had to shoot my glock, he couldn't even hit the circle on a 50' target at 21'.. and I'm using a 2.5lbs pull with trijicon sights.

I'm pretty good with a cricket ball at 20 paces ... I can do a decent head shot 4 times out of 5.

So if the guy with the pistol had trouble getting it out of his holster ...

... and I just happened to have a cricket ball handy ...

... I'd prolly be ok ...

... maybe.

I have extensive long term practice using the military model styles of 45acp semi auto pistols in the 1911 style, and all were left hand twist barrel rifling, I had to completely adjust when I bought the 45acp Baby Desert Eagle as it has right hand twist barrel rifling.

The gun sites are dead on, I was the one that had to adjust as we tend to develop a shooting memory over time of shooting the same weapons.

11. The hero is holding a belt fed machine gun, has the belt wrapped around one arm, fires off an impossibly long volley, and yet his arm doesn't get pulled through the gun.

12. Machine guns that can go thousands of rounds of continuous fire and the barrel is still cool to the touch. Heck, it hasn't even started to glow red yet.

riser

Illustrious

I don't think I've ever seen a left hand twist. Everything I've seen is always right hand. But I never went out of my way to verify yet everything in my safe is right hand.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

Yeah, but only John Rambo can do that. Well, maybe Ahhnold as well. In other words, steroids can make you do some amazing things with belt fed machine guns that no one else can do.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

I consider it a good day when I can see the black portion of the bullseye at 50'.

When I was in the army I tried to fire an M60 one handed with 60 rounds of link hanging out of it in the 25 metre range at the armoury.

... Then I had to shut down the range and replace all of the lighting conduit down one side on the ceiling, as well as the lighting, the fan switch for the bay, and the emergency light at the end.

I also ended up with a sore right wrist for a week.

If you can fire two of those like he did then your better than me.

If the armoury wiring had been enemy I'd have killed them all ...

Luckily I was the EIS techy, so got the repairs done quickly, but the range corporal and armourer were pissed.

I think my first round hit the edge of the target and went down the buffer ... the other 59 went everywhere but ...

Status
Not open for further replies.