Question H510m hdv m.2 se question

Jun 29, 2024
Hello folks,

I've got an Asrock H510M HDV m.2 SE socket 1200 mbo currently working with an i3 10105f which I've bought about two years ago. I'd like to upgrade my cpu to better align with my gpu purchase (4060) as the i3 seems to bottleneck the gpu in some game titles.

I realise the Asrock H510 have exposed VRMs and only 5 phase vrm setup. I have an ability to apply aftermarket heatsink and/or fan to help with the temperatures but I don't know realistically how much watts can the vrms provide either way. I was looking at non-k cpus from both 10th and 11th gen especially the 11700 and 11600 but once again I'm not sure if the vrms would be enough to run them at their stock all core boosts for long periods of time (say an hour gaming session).

Due to a lot of people pairing these with 10400 and 11400 I know at least the mbo works excellent with them, but I would prefer more if possible.

I am currently not looking into changing platforms since I still only play casually and 1080p on a 75hz monitor

Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I am currently not looking into changing platforms since I still only play casually and 1080p on a 75hz monitor
This is the perfect segway to get a new motherboard. If you want to recycle the board, you will need to add heatsinks to the VRM area and perhaps add a fan blowing air across the heatsink to aid with the cooling on the VRM.

For the amount of effort you'd be applying+in the long run, you're better off getting a new board, then sell the motherboard, processor and ram combo you have now to recoup some of your investments.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Hello folks,

I've got an Asrock H510M HDV m.2 SE socket 1200 mbo currently working with an i3 10105f which I've bought about two years ago. I'd like to upgrade my cpu to better align with my gpu purchase (4060) as the i3 seems to bottleneck the gpu in some game titles.

I realise the Asrock H510 have exposed VRMs and only 5 phase vrm setup. I have an ability to apply aftermarket heatsink and/or fan to help with the temperatures but I don't know realistically how much watts can the vrms provide either way. I was looking at non-k cpus from both 10th and 11th gen especially the 11700 and 11600 but once again I'm not sure if the vrms would be enough to run them at their stock all core boosts for long periods of time (say an hour gaming session).

Due to a lot of people pairing these with 10400 and 11400 I know at least the mbo works excellent with them, but I would prefer more if possible.

Thank you!
What is your budget? I assume you're in the US market?

The better thing to do is to buy a new motherboard but then again, you can still get by using your current PC for a number of years.
Put more money towards a new PC that can last a long time without upgrades, and spend as little as possible on your existing PC.

11600 for $130 - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/34ddnQ/intel-core-i5-11600-28-ghz-6-core-processor-bx8070811600

versus

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.94 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B660M Pro RS Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $204.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-29 03:59 EDT-0400

spending $130 on a CPU that might be held back by your motherboard vs. spending considerably more but on a equaly considerable CPU upgrade.

AsRock B660M Pro RS - https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B660M Pro RS/index.asp

Edit - I had a look at z690 motherboards and there are two that don't cost much more than the budget B660 Pro RS:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/b3...tx-lga1700-motherboard-z690m-phantom-gaming-4

Both will open the door to future CPU upgrades (and likely a new PSU after your current one exits the warranty period)
4060 should last you a good number of years. Even so there will probably be a great replacement for it in the future, but right now it's not a consideration.

Last edited:
Reactions: thrownaway
Jun 29, 2024
Hello, and thank you for the answers.

Don't have a specific money limit or similar, but since I'm a casual gamer I want to spend as least as possible.

I would probably wait out a few years and then just get the whole new PC with new GPU and everything else, so just really need something to carry me until then.

Question is, would a 11600 work on the mbo at the normal boosts or would it be power throttled?

I realise a new platform plus the cpu is the default option, and I will of course take it into consideration, although I would prefer to pay a bit less than that.

Thank you folks so far!

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I would probably wait out a few years and then just get the whole new PC with new GPU and everything else, so just really need something to carry me until then.
The z690 motherboard could carry you forward quite a bit. Instead of a new PC, you could drop in a 14700K CPU, probably for much less than what it costs now. Toss in a new GPU if you need one. And if you like, some crazy fast DDR4 5000 MT/s kit.

That's cheaper than a new PC and unless a major revolution happens, it should still be kicking by 2030 maybe 2035.

My old 3rd gen Intel is still a decently fast computer for light gaming, and completely suitable for browsing and video/music, etc. And it's over 12 years old.
It was a good investment.

If you can find an 11600 for less than $100 then it's a good buy, otherwise i think a reduced-in-price motherboard and a 12/13/14 gen CPU is an order of magnitude better.

Reactions: thrownaway
Jun 29, 2024
The z690 motherboard could carry you forward quite a bit. Instead of a new PC, you could drop in a 14700K CPU, probably for much less than what it costs now. Toss in a new GPU if you need one. And if you like, some crazy fast DDR4 5000 MT/s kit.

That's cheaper than a new PC and unless a major revolution happens, it should still be kicking by 2030 maybe 2035.

My old 3rd gen Intel is still a decently fast computer for light gaming, and completely suitable for browsing and video/music, etc. And it's over 12 years old.
It was a good investment.

If you can find an 11600 for less than $100 then it's a good buy, otherwise i think a reduced-in-price motherboard and a 12/13/14 gen CPU is an order of magnitude better.
Gotcha,

Thank you so much.