Question Had no connection, used windows troubleshoot restarted network now my Lan light is on even when pc is off

Aug 23, 2022
Had no connection, used windows troubleshoot restarted network now my Lan light is on even when pc is off using z97x gaming 5 any help on how I can disable Lan light when pc is off?

Is that the only issue you have and the pc function correctly ?

This is very common when a pc has wake on lan. This allows another device to in effect boot/turn on the machine. You likely can disable this feature in the bios. Since you used a windows program it might have set one of the special windows wake options. You could look around the setting and see if some form of wake on lan is enabled. Used to be the OS never modified BIOS settings but I think microsoft does. If you disable it manually I am not sure if windows can turn it back on.

In general you could just ignore it. The machine is likely fully off with only ethernet chip powered. It does not really hurt anything, it is a pain to get wake on lan to work and it is almost impossible to get to work remotely via the internet so a hacker would have to be inside your house to use it.

Reactions: dudio
Aug 23, 2022
I tinkered and disabled shut down wake up and that solved it. Also disabled wake on magic packet and under power disabled thing that makes it so it can power on a pc or something. But only thing that did it is shut down wakeup disabled.

Aug 23, 2022
Is that the only issue you have and the pc function correctly ?

This is very common when a pc has wake on lan. This allows another device to in effect boot/turn on the machine. You likely can disable this feature in the bios. Since you used a windows program it might have set one of the special windows wake options. You could look around the setting and see if some form of wake on lan is enabled. Used to be the OS never modified BIOS settings but I think microsoft does. If you disable it manually I am not sure if windows can turn it back on.

In general you could just ignore it. The machine is likely fully off with only ethernet chip powered. It does not really hurt anything, it is a pain to get wake on lan to work and it is almost impossible to get to work remotely via the internet so a hacker would have to be inside your house to use it.
Only thing I'm not sure of is why I had no connection before restarting network trough windows. Even the Lan light on mobo wasn't Turing on.