Halflife 2 - which card should I buy.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
there are certain forum members who will suck his dick on command.

Dang, your the best psychic I know! I am UTTERLY amazed. How did manage to read my mind with such EXCEPTION PRECISION?

Can I do yours next? I'm @ dave's place right now. What's your address, I'll get there in 15 mintutes flat.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Golly, do I look like the forum whore?!?! Oh well, all's well that pay's well. Need more money for joints anywayz. I only have 5 left!

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Yeah well, the sad part is that Gen is partially right:(

I like Dave and think hes a smart guy, but he dosn't write the books, and what he says isn't written in stone (who the hell writes in stone these days neways?).

I am always interested in what he has to say, and alot of times its good info, but its true alot of people here play kiss-ass with Dave. Dunno why, what the hell is he doing for them? Oh wait, its that whole agreeing with the person whos right (supposedly) somehow makes YOU right, and smarter, etc.

But who am I to say that, next time I feel I need backup on something I'll probly go crawling to Dave too, so... what can ya do! AH I KNOW! We need more Dave's! Then they'll have to compete with one another, and they'll get better, AND cheaper, and it'll benefit everybody! w00t!

THGC, when Dave's compete for you, YOU WIN!

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Really, who hasn't seen it at least 5 million times? Tonight, watching Croutching Tiger Hidden Dragon on Fox (and other stuff), I got SLAMMED in the BALLS like 100 times about the new F-150. Trust me dude, this truck is REVOLUTIONARY! If it wasn't, why would they have so many commercials for it? That just grabs me by the...<A HREF="http://www.maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=xtreme_bullshit" target="_new"> Read this. </A>

And if you got time check out the main page (basically to read other funny-ass articles) <A HREF="http://www.maddox.xmission.com" target="_new"> here. </A>

That site and <A HREF="http://www.somethingawful.com" target="_new"> Something Awful </A> are the 2 funniest sites EVAR!

I really think they cater to your tastes GW:) Check 'em out.. EVARYONE!

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Did you know that you have to be online to play HL2, even in single player?
<A HREF="http://steampowered.com/index.php?area=faq&id=1050915505,27362300,1050915714,91503900" target="_new">http://steampowered.com/index.php?area=faq&id=1050915505,27362300,1050915714,91503900</A>

I help because you suck.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Wow Gen. What did you have for dinner tonight?

We have so much in common... lets be best friends ok? (Or gay lovers, whatever works best...)

And hey, hows ur daughter! I still have those pics u know:)

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Ah, oh well. I had one 'o them new Sonic BIG CHEESE's, with onion rings. The commercial made me buy it. I couldve gotten 2 normal sized burgers for half the price (with a 2for1 card i have), put em together, and had an even BIGGER burger... but the commercial made me buy this one.

It was good though, and Sonic's onion rings kick ass!

I guess we can still be friends GW:)

And I need some more GW's daughter pics! Hey maybe u could PM me her AIM/ICQ/MSN (whatever she uses) and we could chat!

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Your such a dumbass Lee, I got over being pissed at you long ago.
I eat Sonic almost every day since I moved here. We didnt have then in California.

I help because you suck.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Yeah, Sonic kicks ass:)

I thought all that dude did was running around on all them Sega consoles collecting onion rings.

Maybe he barbequed that fox with the spinning tail & made a burger out of her instead. YUMMY!

eden

Champion
bugs you never thought about happen.
THEY ARE NOT BUGS, they are damn core components so horribly implemented they don't work right!
The FX core is screwed with lots of old parts, and it needs precision toning down to work at decent performance, hence how bad the PS2.0 part is. Wish Dave were here to explain this one out.

I don't see very many drivers which I have to hack in hex for them, now do I?
You got the compilers, you can debug, etc. Your point is invalid because you're only trying to be lazy and close your mind to one thing. When was the last time you saw a geForce card that can be modded, or you've modded one?

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

eden

Champion
Ah I see, you're the all knowing God, right?
To you maybe it seems so, but my position as that is the one of everyone else here that's not an nVidiot. Almost all of us here have realized nVidia's hardware is absolute crap, with drivers deteriorating per version, and upcoming games will be cheated so badly as to lower precision to recover performance. The Detonator50 should be renamed to Cheater for 50 games.
So really man, you're the inferior minded guy in this situation. I'm not a god who knows all, I'm just like everyone here who has understood the situation.
I saw the news that they'd have certain guidlines,
Seems like it turned out to be mostly BS. Explain the news about them lowering (including CARMACK) the 32-bit precision to 12/16-bit? That has to be the saddest attempt at "driver optimizing", but hey, people like you will ALWAYS back it.
I mean name is a limiting factor, right??
No, their horrible driver facility is.
As for the profits, seemed like they faired pretty damn well with the GF3, and they did the same thing.
We discuss RECENT economy Flame. If you believe nVidia is the nVidia of 2001, so be it.

I think you've got a large ego in thinking you're so high and mighty and right.
This is the best one yet, considering you should perhaps look at yourself in the mirror "Mr. I even get A++++++ even in walking, w00t!!!".
You don't control people, you won't change my opinion,
The only way you could say this is if you feared my attitude and thought I was gonna do something bad if you didn't listen.

just like I'm not sending you a picture of myself and every accomplishment I've ever had.
I don't need a picture to show me the BSer in front of me.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

eden

Champion
I would:)
Dave only hangs around here because there are certain forum members who will suck his dick on command.<bloated ego>
Both you and WS have a point.

I respect you a lot for having found the info and researched before debating Dave. That shows a lot of honor.

However the reason why I give him a good amount of respect and acknowledge a lot of what he says as true, is because he bothered to reply to you, with a damn 3000+ pixel wide reply describing each ATi extension and why nVidia is by far worse. That does ask for some kind of educated posting.
Therefore I trust Flamey is one big brainless d00d when it comes to graphics and the recent happenings, because otherwise he'd have by now acknowledged that his sweet company that he hugs the bricks so much of, isn't so good anymore.
I've believed it and most do, this year nVidia can't and won't compete right. Period. Next year the tide could change. But as long as there are FXes around and remnants of them, their cards will forever suck.

--

eden

Champion
Given a few months experience with programming graphics (like if I did it over the summer) I'd take him on.
No you wouldn't, because then you'd HAVE REALIZED like him that nVidia's architecture is worth jack! That is, if you were smart....
Right now tho it'd be like Eden trying to argue with me about quantum computers, not gonna happen.
I try my best to never argue what I don't know, that's why you'll never see me argue you on Quantum, just like I wouldn't argue a program code function and the right path it should do, with a programmer.

--

eden

Champion
Yeah well, the sad part is that Gen is partially right:(

I like Dave and think hes a smart guy, but he dosn't write the books, and what he says isn't written in stone (who the hell writes in stone these days neways?).

I am always interested in what he has to say, and alot of times its good info, but its true alot of people here play kiss-ass with Dave. Dunno why, what the hell is he doing for them? Oh wait, its that whole agreeing with the person whos right (supposedly) somehow makes YOU right, and smarter, etc.

But who am I to say that, next time I feel I need backup on something I'll probly go crawling to Dave too, so... what can ya do! AH I KNOW! We need more Dave's! Then they'll have to compete with one another, and they'll get better, AND cheaper, and it'll benefit everybody! w00t!

THGC, when Dave's compete for you, YOU WIN!
Like I said to GW, it's true we tend to suck up to him. But right now more than anytime, he is indeed more credible than most sources. Ever since he bothered to make such a huge reply explaining each ATi extension, you gotta admit man, the guy knows his stuff.
So I don't take his predictions with a grain of salt at all. That's the only reason I got for giving him so much attention really. All we need now is to see the HL2 and DOOM III benches and we can laugh even more. :lol:

--

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
The compilers and debugging. Yeah, about that. Press compile. Wait for the linking errors to apear. Debug. It's your code tho. I don't have to go into the hex much at all.
However, when u take apart a driver, all you get is hex, and maybe you haven't done it, but it is ASS to figure something big out.

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Eden to cut my response to your second post short, here are the basics:
Much of it was sarcasm, but apparently you don't get it (among other things).
Let me also make it apparent to you that certain business practices will work throughout the years...
For school and the A+ and all, don't even start to argue, you have no ground
And dude, I only state the don't think you'll change my mind because this entire time you persist with charging me as being an idiot in the hope of switching me to buy Ati. I refuse to buy their product. Again I must point to the picture: you never got me to send you one. You have this general air that you think you are superior and will change peoples' minds, forget it. Trust me, you pose as much danger in turning me to Ati as the dead fly in my lamp does right now, effectively none.
And my sticking to NV is in no way BS, simply you don't get it.

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"