Hard Disk Drive Shortage May Persist Through 2013

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]tuffjuff[/nom]You think Seagate and Western Digital just made up Thaiwanese flooding for the sake of charging me $100 for a 500GB hard drive?lol[/citation]
There are a lot of angry teenagers in here who are pissed their budget build is blown and are trying to make this somebody's fault. I guess they needed a break from bitching about how SSDs aren't cheap enough to afford on their allowance.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
OK, now this is just price gouging. Nothing else to put it. At first the mid 2012 was partially understandable, but through 2013 is crazy. They're already making huge profits and if they can't clear their stuff by 2013 they might lose their market to SSDs

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]OK, now this is just price gouging. Nothing else to put it. At first the mid 2012 was partially understandable, but through 2013 is crazy. They're already making huge profits and if they can't clear their stuff by 2013 they might lose their market to SSDs[/citation]
You're an idiot. This isn't price gouging, it's a goddamn natural disaster. Have some ******* respect for the people who have been driven from their homes and businesses after THE WORST FLOODING IN RECORDED HISTORY. It's the fourth most expensive natural disaster in recorded history as well.

But no, idiots like you just keep crowing about how manufacturers are making this *** up to drive up prices. ******* entitled brats is what you all are, and stupid ones at that. Literally millions of people are living in shelters, hundreds are dead, 45 BILLION dollars in damage have been done, and you just whine about how your computer components cost a little more.

You know what? *** you.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]digitalzom-b[/nom]Good for Ultrabook sales... might as well pay 1000 dollars for something with a 256GB SSD instead of something with a 250GB HDD with the same specs ;_;. That said, time to make SSD more affordable! Going to be a sad year for anyone that wants to build a PC on a budget though.[/citation]

Eh, just use the hard drive from your previous computer until a good deal comes up

G

I think this whole nonsense is a ruse for 2 reasons. Hard drives where incredibly cheap for the amount of storage. That isn't what business wants today. They want cloud storage so they have access to your data. They also want to sell more expensive SSD drives and if there are similar in price you might buy an SSD. Lets face it they are not that much faster to give up TB of storage for a drive that costs 3 times as much for 1/10 the space. This whole cloud storage makes me nervous. Why do companies want my data and files? What do they want to do with it? In the Facebook age we give out all our info freely and before you know it we will have no privacy. It is not to hard to create a bad flood our own army corps of engineers caused massive flooding in the US by there own stupidity. By the time they opened the flood gates it was too late. This whole thing is planned for corporate reasons. If you think not how many RAM price fixing scandals have we had. Too many to count. I remember when ram was $100+ per megabyte.

[citation][nom]mindbreaker[/nom]DaddyW123 you beat me to it. Yes, it can't be very hard to seal the buildings. Just put some clay in concrete and spread a layer of the stuff over the entire floor and walls, remove any windows and make them brick. [/citation]
Simpler to just build on high ground.

kristjan_i

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]And sometimes you are forced to by a new drive when your old one crashed.[/citation]

I feel so naked with 2 of my 3 hdd's having no warranty :/ ... Not that they would stop working anytime now. But damn, after the flooding the bare thought of having to replace one of them is daunting.

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
[citation][nom]keyanf[/nom]So they can't afford to replace the stock once they sell it!Brilliant!Your English is fine, your economics are what you should worry about.[/citation]

Insurance.

G

I purchased a Lenovo X201 Tablet for someone at work a few weeks ago... Lenovo claims it will ship February 23rd, 2012..... I'm not impressed at all.

You've got to be absolutely kidding me. I really wonder how much of this is actually from not being able to produce new drives.

Either way, it might serve WD better if they invested into flood prevention strategies next time.

G

I bought a 2TB Seagate External at BJ's last week for $99.00. I went back yesterday to buy 2 more for Christmas gifts and they raised the price to $129.99, about a 30% increase. When I complained to the store manager, she flat out said, "too bad, that's the way it is, the price of milk changes daily, too." I then walked out of the store and went home disgusted but I found a 2TB Hitachi External online for $99.00. BJ's can go **** themselves.

G

Globalization hurts the market yet again. Hard drives and other essential electronic components should be manufactured in "safe" zones like North America and Europe, not in exotic and unstable regions.

ipgrunt

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2005
This despicable price gouging is worse than that done by the oil refiners. We're seeing prices 200% over what they were 3 years ago.

Western, Hitachi, Seagate, Fuji, et. al. -- you are greed mongers. We've got your number, and when you turn to us customers' for support, expect the revenge of the nerds.

G

The Local MicroCenter store has plenty of Hard drives in stock but the price is still about double from what it was last summer. I thought shortages meant that you run out of stock.

G

It was really short-sighted of these companies to build all their factories in just a single place, they should have put factories in several countries to avoid a situation like this

Status
Not open for further replies.