Hard Disk Drive Shortage May Persist Through 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Good for Ultrabook sales... might as well pay 1000 dollars for something with a 256GB SSD instead of something with a 250GB HDD with the same specs ;_;.

That said, time to make SSD more affordable! :( Going to be a sad year for anyone that wants to build a PC on a budget though.

not another one again. how many of these have come out including this one? 5, 6 or more may be. everyone keeps saying hdd shortage will persist for a long time. how about taking measures to lower ssd prices? if a company like intel can take steps to lower ultrabooks costs why not do the same with ssd?

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]not another one again. how many of these have come out including this one? 5, 6 or more may be. everyone keeps saying hdd shortage will persist for a long time. how about taking measures to lower ssd prices? if a company like intel can take steps to lower ultrabooks costs why not do the same with ssd?[/citation]

I feel like they need to figure out their stability and firmware issues first... cough ocz...

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
production will be up to previous levels in q2 2012 prolly, but what will elevate prices is greed, and I do agree, that it will be another year (if not more) for hdd sanity.

Only think I can suggest is that you veer away from hard disks, and make is as unprofittable as possible to sell them at rediculous prices. Lowering demand.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I think this is called a market with high demand and no supply. We need venture capitalists to invest in some hard drive manufacturers not concentrated in Thailand, and such a company would make a killing using commonplace fabriciation tech.

The only concern is that it would need to be headquartered somewhere not in the US or in a county that bows to the will of US law, because any new startup hardware company will get sued every day and night for patent and trademark infringements if the nation it is established in has the horrible patent / copyright system the US has.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
"Hard Disk Drive Shortage May Persist Through 2013"

What I got from this is that they will return to normal in 2014. Even though English is not my native language, I think you meant "persist till 2013"

Anyway, I see vendors are still being dicks about older stock, selling Samsung Spinpoint F1's (which date back to 2006-2007) at insane prices. They're clearly taking advantage of the flooding situation instead of just being happy they can finally get rid of them.

G

What group is IHS, what group is IDC? Please don't reference acronyms to businesses that aren't very known in articles without spelling it out first. Journalism 101.

gunbust3r

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I wonder if site conditions and pressure to have production running at 100%+ is going to have an impact on future drive failure rates?

even after they get production up in Feb/Mar it will take a few more months to catch up with demand, and then after demand is caught up with it will be a while before they recoup their repair costs and lost time. So it is not greed (necessarily), it is just how business works. Besides, they are supposed to be greedy. Greed combined with competition is what keeps quality high, prices low, and innovation coming.

What I really would like to know is how this will effect the production of 4 and 6TB drives which are supposed to come out this year. Perhaps we will see a permanent shift of SSDs for system drives, and HDDs for data storage. Just stop producing anything smaller than 500GB.

My bet is that most companies will be back to normal prices next fall because the companies less effected will want to bury and steal as many customers as possible from those who will take longer to recover.

[citation][nom]taste_the_flavor[/nom]What group is IHS, what group is IDC? Please don't reference acronyms to businesses that aren't very known in articles without spelling it out first. Journalism 101.[/citation]
That is what google is for, and they are both well known groups.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
You know what I see in HDD manufacturer's future? Waterproof buildings. Sure the water is up above the windows outside, and you have to take a boat to get to work and climb down from an access door on the roof - but dammit we're still making drives!

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
i wish i could tell everyone not to buy new hard disk till the price back to normal, to teach those greedy bastards a bitter lesson.

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
There goes my plans to upgrade when I get my secured card deposit back (unless I can salvage a hard drive from somewhere, the machine I'm using is nearly full).

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]"Hard Disk Drive Shortage May Persist Through 2013"What I got from this is that they will return to normal in 2014. Even though English is not my native language, I think you meant "persist till 2013"Anyway, I see vendors are still being dicks about older stock, selling Samsung Spinpoint F1's (which date back to 2006-2007) at insane prices. They're clearly taking advantage of the flooding situation instead of just being happy they can finally get rid of them.[/citation]

So they can't afford to replace the stock once they sell it!

Brilliant!

Your English is fine, your economics are what you should worry about.

mindbreaker

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
DaddyW123 you beat me to it. Yes, it can't be very hard to seal the buildings. Just put some clay in concrete and spread a layer of the stuff over the entire floor and walls, remove any windows and make them brick. Add a few skylights, alternate entry etc. Given the price of these fabs this is an obvious wise investment.

Doing it when you still have 2 feet of water in there...well...I think it still can be done. Certainly more difficult. You need a wall of sand bags a few feet from the structure surrounding it and pumps running 24 hours a day. If there is no power? Well install solar on the roof. All doable.

I'd think they would be acting with a little more urgency; after all the first up will rake in the most profit.

jdwii

Splendid
I'm sure some greedy companies will keep the prices that high so they can make up the money they will lose in the 4Q of 2011 and 1Q of 2012. I wont be buying any hard drives until TB's go back down to 60$ and 320GB hard drive is 38$ on newegg. Until then i'm getting a 128GB Samsung ssd.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]keyanf[/nom]So they can't afford to replace the stock once they sell it!Brilliant!Your English is fine, your economics are what you should worry about.[/citation]
No, I mean they sell these 160-250 GB "F1" models (which they don't even make any more) at way above the 1 TB prices from earlier this year, even though they had them in stock for ages! There was Spinpoint F2 and now F3 is the latest (circa 2009-2010).

I studied relationship marketing and I had to write a paper on price fairness, incidentally about how natural disasters like snow storms affected prices on shovels and supplies in certain areas. Greed is a bad thing, my friend. People will avoid you afterwards and tell their friends about it. This would be a great subject for the students this year.

G

This is a great marketing strategy to force the customers to migrate to SSDs. i think there is something fishy going around here....

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
This sounds so similar to the Memory shortage of 1999. Sticks of 128 megabytes where going for $100 each. Rambus drove prices higher till DDR came out on the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.