Question Hard disk sizes and storing backup questions

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Hi,

I do backup everyday, assuming I have Jan and Feb backup images now.

I intend to buy either one 6TB 3.5 hard disk or two 4TB 3.5 hard disk.

1. Is there any difference if I store Jan and Feb backup into one 6TB 3.5 hard disk vs if I store Jan backup into one 4TB 3.5 hard disk and Feb backup into another one 4TB 3.5 hard disk?

2. Will a 3.5 hard disk become faulty by itself if I did not use it for a long time (keep in cabinet)?

3. I might buy HGST used disk, does HGST have different types like WD black, blue, red, green, purple? I am new to HGST, what HGST type is suitable for PC use?

4. I intend to buy a used HGST 3.5 hard disk and the seller said it was used for NAS, does it mean it is continuously powered on and more likely to fail? Is it good to buy it? Here is the photo of the disk View: https://imgur.com/a/BZfn4i3

5. I am trying to save money so I am thinking it is ok to buy a used disk to store backup as it is unlikely that both the disk that store data and the disk that store backup will be faulty at the same time, is it a good idea or bad idea to use used disk to store backup? I guess used disk might fail faster.

Thanks.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
The general concept is 3-2-1.

3 copies, on at least 2 different devices, at least 1 offsite or otherwise unavailable.

My 'offsite' is a couple of drives in a desk drawer at work, updated quarterly or so.

Other local backups happen daily, weekly, every other day, depending on the system.

There is no One True Way.
As long as you do it, and know how to recover.

I intend to buy a used HGST 3.5 hard disk and the seller said it was used for NAS
Don't buy used drives.
That one is already 7 years old.

Reactions: smalltech

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
3 copies, on at least 2 different devices, at least 1 offsite or otherwise unavailable.
This is my scenario: My PC disk is 1 copy (original data stored inside the hard disk inside PC case). My Macrium backup is 1 copy (backup stored in 2.5 external hard disk).

Is the above considered "on at least 2 different devices"?

How to do "3 copies, on at least 2 different devices, at least 1 offsite or otherwise unavailable." for my scenario?

USAFRet

Titan
This is my scenario: My PC disk is 1 copy (original data stored inside the hard disk inside PC case). My Macrium backup is 1 copy (backup stored in 2.5 external hard disk).

Is the above considered "on at least 2 different devices"?

How to do "3 copies, on at least 2 different devices, at least 1 offsite or otherwise unavailable." for my scenario?
Yes, that is the "2".

The "3" can be anywhere.
Cloud, a friends house, desk drawer....
This wards off things like malware or ransomware. Fully disconnected, can't be compromised.

Reactions: smalltech

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I did a search on the P/N 0F26900 of the HGST disk above and found these results below, it seems like it is a NAS disk, can I use NAS disk in my PC for normal use to store data/backup?

0F26900 - HGST Deskstar NAS 6TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5-Inch Hard Drive https://harddiskdirect.com/0f26900-hgst-server-hard-drive.html

HGST HDN726060ALE614 0S04007 0F26900 6TB SATA Hard Drive For Desktop NAS https://www.disctech.com/HGST-0S04007-6TB-SATA-HD-for-Desktop-NAS

If my understanding is correct, WD Red is also for NAS use.