I have Windows XP Pro. Although I have plenty of hard

disk space [famous last words <g>] and I should not

care about the size of a download, the download

message box does not indicate the size of the file. How

would I know the size of a file that I'm downloading?

Thank you,

Barry Karas

Barry Karas wrote:
> I have Windows XP Pro. Although I have plenty of hard
> disk space [famous last words <g>] and I should not
> care about the size of a download, the download
> message box does not indicate the size of the file. How
> would I know the size of a file that I'm downloading?

Most of the time that should be reported to you in by the download itself.
There are still a few sites or reasons you might not see the size while
downloading. You may want to try an alternative browser (such as Firefox0
to see if that gives you the information you want when downloading from
websites (assuming that is what you mean.)

Also - generally a decent website will inform you of the size of the file
before you ever get to clicking on a download link.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Personnally, i use MetaProducts Download Express.

"Barry Karas" <bkaras@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP Pro. Although I have plenty of hard
>
> disk space [famous last words <g>] and I should not
>
> care about the size of a download, the download
>
> message box does not indicate the size of the file. How
>
> would I know the size of a file that I'm downloading?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Barry Karas

johnf

A decent website?
Remember SP1? MS gave the size as a few hundred k's, but that was only the
pre-loader, it finished up as 160M + (or was it SP2?)

--

johnf

johnf wrote:
> A decent website?
> Remember SP1? MS gave the size as a few hundred k's, but that was
> only the pre-loader, it finished up as 160M + (or was it SP2?)

You are talking about an update site - not a site where one is downloading
files in a normal manner. A separate application is running when you use
WindowsUpdate - not the native Internet Explorer download applications. The
original download from the WindowsUpdate site was small - to then run
locally and figure out what components were needed to download and install
on your system.

The size of SP1 and/or SP2 is not hidden.. Their maximum downloadable sizes
can easily be found by going to the direct download site for each - where
you are truly downloading files and not running a separate process other
than a simple file transfer through HTTP. =)

Of course - we are assuming that is what the OP is speaking of - actually
downloading applications and files using a normal download process.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP