[SOLVED] hard disk with data needs initializing?

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
I took the primary HDD out of an old Windows 7 desktop that died, and connected it internally by SATA to a computer that works.
Windows Disk Management says that the disk needs to be initialized.
This puzzles me, because it is supposed to have a functioning Win7 installation on it.
If I initialize it, will it delete the data?
MBR or GPT?

Solution
Solved. I connected the hard disk with a different SATA connector, and the disk functions as expected. It does not ask to be initialized and is readable.

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
Can you show us the Partitions window in DMDE?

Can you show us a SMART report with CrystalDiskInfo?
Thanks for the ideas. That will have to wait for the morning (it's getting late here) when I can power down my computer, reconnect the hard disk, and boot into Windows. I do have CrystalDisk installed, but I am not familiar with DMDE.

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
When I power on the machine, the BIOS says "Press <CTRL+P> to enter MEBX setup menu". I ignored the message and eventually it went away.
Windows took a very long time to load.
DMDE says the disk is not accessible.
CrystalDisk doesn't see the disk at all.

Last edited:

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
EaseUS Data Recovery claims that if I only initialize, without partitioning and formatting, my data will still be there, and the program can recover it.
What do y'all say about that?

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
RolandJS:
Perhaps make a forensic sector-by-sector clone, and then try EaseUS initialize, format[?], data recovery on the clone.
Shamu26:
How do I clone it if the device is not detected? I mean, what program or command can I use to clone it?
RolandJS: You are so correct! I was thinking after you successfully got the drive detected, then make a clone. :) I should have remembered when I earlier posted the drive was not yet detected.

Reactions: shmu26