Hard Drive Data Transfer

Hi
Can anyone help here. I am trying to transfer my Windows xp os and all my
relavent programs from a 40GB hard drive to a larger 160GB one. This is
basically for upgrading my PC and the larger hard drive will be replacing the
lesser one internally in my machine. Any suggestions would be most
appreciated --
Cheers

Best regards

macwatson

"macwatson" <macwatson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> Can anyone help here. I am trying to transfer my Windows xp os and all my
> relavent programs from a 40GB hard drive to a larger 160GB one. This is
> basically for upgrading my PC and the larger hard drive will be replacing
the
> lesser one internally in my machine. Any suggestions would be most
> appreciated --
> Cheers
>
> Best regards
>
> macwatson

Many hard disk manufacturers offer a free cloning program
on their web site.

Will this type of program work okay even though I don't have my PC's windows
xp installation disc

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "macwatson" <macwatson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > Can anyone help here. I am trying to transfer my Windows xp os and all my
> > relavent programs from a 40GB hard drive to a larger 160GB one. This is
> > basically for upgrading my PC and the larger hard drive will be replacing
> the
> > lesser one internally in my machine. Any suggestions would be most
> > appreciated --
> > Cheers
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > macwatson
>
> Many hard disk manufacturers offer a free cloning program
> on their web site.

"Cloning" means "to make an exact replica of the original". This
implies that the cloned disk will behave exactly like the original
disk. At the same time I recommend that you get your WinXP
installation disk as soon as possible. Sooner or later you will
need it!

> Will this type of program work okay even though I don't have my PC's
windows
> xp installation disc
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

> > "macwatson" <macwatson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > > Can anyone help here. I am trying to transfer my Windows xp os and all
my
> > > relavent programs from a 40GB hard drive to a larger 160GB one. This
is
> > > basically for upgrading my PC and the larger hard drive will be
replacing
> > the
> > > lesser one internally in my machine. Any suggestions would be most
> > > appreciated --
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Best regards
> > >
> > > macwatson
> >
> > Many hard disk manufacturers offer a free cloning program
> > on their web site.

"macwatson" <macwatson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> Can anyone help here. I am trying to transfer my Windows xp os and all my
> relavent programs from a 40GB hard drive to a larger 160GB one. This is
> basically for upgrading my PC and the larger hard drive will be replacing
the
> lesser one internally in my machine. Any suggestions would be most
> appreciated --
> Cheers
>
> Best regards
>
> macwatson

First thing is to be sure that your system will actually support a 160gig
drive. Some not-much-older machines do not. Note that this support
refers to the physical drive capacity - not to any partitions.

Then, use a cloning program, preferably with a bootable CD or diskette. You
may need to set the new partition to "Active" as well.

HTH
-pk