Hard drive disconnecting and reconnecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxavier38

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Hi

I'm having a bit of a problem here
My external hard drive (a Hitachi 500GB 2.5" drive) which is connected to a Silverstone RVS02 keeps disconnecting
When I plug my hard drive in (With both USB cables), Windows detects it, but after 5 seconds or so it starts disconnecting and reconnecting every second or so
Once a while I get prompts to format the drive

The disconnects do not stop until I unplug the drive, or at least the data one
I've checked my power options and tried almost everything

This is the only USB device that this happens to, and it only happens on this PC so I don't think it's the enclosure
I've tried other USB ports and this also happens

Any help would be amazing
Thanks

Solution
I recently discovered this problem too.
What is happening is that usb3.0 has some power saving mode that lets the hard drive power down.
Here is the fix.
control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/USB settings /USB selective suspend setting
The set the plugged in option to disabled.

gxavier38

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Oh and for more info

This only happens when the data cable is connected to a USB 3.0 port
When it's connected to a USB 2.0 port this doesn't happen
The other computers I tried this on only have 2.0 ports

I've tried updating USB 3 drivers on my motherboard (AsRock Z77 Extreme4)
This is the only USB 3 cable I have though
Could it be the problem?

I recently discovered this problem too.
What is happening is that usb3.0 has some power saving mode that lets the hard drive power down.
Here is the fix.
control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/USB settings /USB selective suspend setting
The set the plugged in option to disabled.

Reactions: Shinobi0072
Solution

gxavier38

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Geofelt

So I've tried this and it worked for the first few minutes
I could read and write data with no problems
But after a while the problem started again

Do you know what I could try?

BlutoNYC

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
In addition to the solution posted above, you should install the latest USB 3.0 drivers.

Also go into Device Manage and locate the USB Root Hubs, go to their properties, then the power management tab, and uncheck the settings in there.

wonwon0

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

I created an account only to thank you.

cristi_bv

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
Hi people,

I had the same problem, tried the suggested solutions without success. I updated Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver with one compatible with intel's 4-th generation cpu's and it works :)

good luck!

maseorama

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

I'm on intel's site but I'm having trouble finding the driver. I'm at this address.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+8+Series+Chipset+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Desktop+Board+DZ87KLT-75K&ProdId=3598&LineId=3597&FamilyId=36

Bradley S

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

This worked for me. For me it was a WD drive and it was really annoting because i had all of my steam games on it and when I was in a game it would close down. Thanks!!

hulax

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014

Thank you. I was certain my hdd was failing but your solution worked. It's weird that Windows put the ports to sleep even during copying. And I also have an external power supply connected to the hdd so Windows must shut the port down completely not only the power to it.
Also made an account just to say thank you. You saved me a lot of trial and error.

Marmit3

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

USB was originally conceptualised to only be used with short cables (i think 120 cm was the limit). If i am not mistaken, the reason was data throughput couldn't be guaranteed one there was more cable to get through. Over time, manufacturers began ignoring this limitation resulting in issues like the one described here.

The power saving feature recommended as the first solution did the trick for me, so a thank you from my side. After years of using Tom's as a silent viewer only, i finally created an account to say just this: thank you! :)

illayatamilan

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014

shorter USB cable worked for me. Thank you jackjackffm

DSLBOY

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
Right on!

Thanks jackjackffm, I first tried the power saving solution and no luck.
You are correct the length of cable fixed the issue.

I was using the front I/O USB port on my computer which has a cable from the motherboard to the I/O port and then the cable to the hard drive...total length=toooo long.

Plugged the same external hard drive cable directly into the USB port on the back of the computer which is direct USB on the motherboard and the now the drive does not disconnect on me.

footwear

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
Here is the fix.
The set the plugged in option to disabled.[/quotemsg]
This worked for me. For me it was a WD drive and it was really annoting because i had all of my steam games on it and when I was in a game it would close down. Thanks!!

But it doesn't work for me. WD My Passport is my device. I update firmware, SES driver, USB root hub power management box check out, disabled power oftion from usb settings. nothimg worked for me.... I have 2 hd same model and same problem connecting/disconnecting automaticly

driftingprogrammer

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
Hi footwear,

Have you been able to fix this issue. I have same issues with my toshiba drive. USB 3.0 short cable connected directly to the laptop but tried all suggested methods here with no luck.

Thanks.

sascha411

Reputable
May 1, 2015
Hi All,

Same problem here with a Transcend HD 2.5, 500GB.

Things I tried out without any success:

- Bought a new cable (double USB plug) - no luck
- Changed all the Power Settings in Windows 8.1 for all USB ports - no luck.
- Tried to plug into USB 2.0 ports - no luck

It keeps connecting and disconnecting.

Any other possible idea that would help solve this problem ?

Cheers,
Sascha

mrproxycat

Reputable
May 9, 2015

had the same problem... and this guy is the one to fix it.. wtf :D

i mean.. WTF.. i was sure he was trolling, i even laughed at him, until i tried it xD

thanks dude(s) made an account just to write this

AdobeTX

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
I believe faulty cables are a big problem with USB 3.0. I have many USB 3.0 cables and devices and only a select few will work without continuously disconnecting. Hard to say which brands work best, but when I have a problem, using a known cable that works fixes it.

Jul 17, 2015
Found the answer. Needed a powered usb hub. Fixed the problem. The device was not getting enough power. I'm using a toshiba 2tb external hd and a asus transformer t100ta.
Picked up a belkin desktop hub.

Seems to fail when I have multiple hd's connected tho.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.