Hard drive file size issue - shrinking

Feb 3, 2019
I may have lost data on my hard drive. Not certain whats happening. When backing it up it discovers 563GB but only transfers 309GB. The folder I am transferring says its 309GB but used to be much larger. The folder that I am transferring used to have about 500 about a year ago when I checked last but should be much larger now. How can a folder shrink like that? And when when backing up on the 2nd external hardrive discover 563GB of info but only transfer 309GB and say the original file has 309 GB when I look at its properties

Lutfij

Titan
If data is missing from the drive, it was either manually deleted or that the drive is failing and loosing data. Not loosing data per se, when it's laying around in (cold)storage but more like when you connect the drive to a system. Might I ask what sort of files you're trying to migrate/copy over? Often times data will be shown as size of the file and then the size of the file on disk.

Might also want to mention the make and model of the hard drive in question.

Feb 3, 2019
The external I was trying to back up is a 4TB my passport pocket sized hard drive. I tried backing it up on a Seagate 5TB one and on another 4TB western Digital My passport. I can see I could have lost data but I cant figure out is why When I right click the folder it says 309GB size on disk may say something like 337GB. But when I right click to on it and say copy then past the folder to other drive it discovers 563GB but when done there is only 309GB like the file origionally said. Very strange. I do not know if the data is still there, corrupted or whats happening.

Feb 3, 2019
Some most of the files in the folder are PDFs but some jpegs and maybe a few other things. Here are additional Details. The folder says size 380GB 332,461,634,541 bytes - size on disc 210GB 332,987,170,816 bytes - contains 257,566 files , 4785 folders.
When transferring it by hitting copy then past it says prepairing to copy it find something like 566,676 items and 542 GB then starts to copy but when done it shows the file is 309 GB.
If this is an ownership thing how can I fix this

USAFRet

Titan

Backing up, with what tool?
Some of them leave off things like the page file and temp folder.

Feb 3, 2019
I just plugged in 2 usb 3.0 external drives to my laptop. the one external usb had the folder with the files. The other was where I was going to copy them over to back them up. I did not use a tool I gust clicked the folder and hit copy, then click on the other drive and hit paste