[SOLVED] Hard drive mounting sled doesn't fit my druve

Blazedsrr

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020
I have a western digital 1 TB har drive 3.5 in and I have the drive trays that were advertised as 3.5 in ones. The tray does not fit around the drive though it seems about half an inch short, don't know why they don't fit because I specifically searched and checked for 3.5 in, anyone know anything? Also the screws don't match on the drives screws location so I know that I'm doing it right. Thanks

Solution
But there are screws on the side for mounting a 3.5 in hard drive and it said d it could be used for a 3.5 in desktop hard drive.

No, that's not what it says at all. It says it converts a 2.5 inch hard drive into the form factor of the 3.5 in desktop hard drive. It repeatedly tells you to use 2.5" drives.

A 3.5" hard drive doesn't need a caddy to go in a 3.5" drive bay because the 3.5" drive bay of a PC case is already designed with its own solution to natively use 3.5" hard drives.

It not only says "for use with up to two 2.5" SSDs" and "supports 2.5 hard drives" it literally has a picture of how it's converting a 2.5" drive into the same form factor as a 3.5" drive...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
But there are screws on the side for mounting a 3.5 in hard drive and it said d it could be used for a 3.5 in desktop hard drive.

No, that's not what it says at all. It says it converts a 2.5 inch hard drive into the form factor of the 3.5 in desktop hard drive. It repeatedly tells you to use 2.5" drives.

A 3.5" hard drive doesn't need a caddy to go in a 3.5" drive bay because the 3.5" drive bay of a PC case is already designed with its own solution to natively use 3.5" hard drives.

It not only says "for use with up to two 2.5" SSDs" and "supports 2.5 hard drives" it literally has a picture of how it's converting a 2.5" drive into the same form factor as a 3.5" drive.
85d76e12-d742-4245-aa96-471e41f10801._CR0,0,1940,600_PT0_SX970__.jpg

The screws on the side are to mount the 2.5" drive in the bracket to a case in the normal way you would a 3.5" drive. The holes on the side aren't there for a 3.5" hard drive, they're there to connect the bracket to the case. And since the bracket is designed to work with cases, the holes to attach the bracket to the case are naturally going to be in the same place as where the holes are in 3.5" drives.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
No.
It is specifically and only for mounting a 2.5" drive, into a space for a 3.5" drive.
The 4 holes on the flat part are to hold the 2.5" drive.
The holes on the sides are to screw into normal 3.5" drive bays.

It is NOT for mounting a 3.5" drive.

Blazedsrr

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020
Dam man, I thought it would be fine since I just looked up 3.5 in hard drive bracket and quickly read through it. Do you think I could attack the drive to like the bottom of the case with velcro or something cuz I don't want to order another thing.

USAFRet

Titan

Blazedsrr

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020
I assure you if they were supposed to be in they weren't but why would it say in the manual that they did not provide the hard drive trays? I can show you an image of the manual if u want.

USAFRet

Titan
I assure you if they were supposed to be in they weren't but why would it say in the manual that they did not provide the hard drive trays? I can show you an image of the manual if u want.
I believe you, I guess.
Its just bad form on their part not to include parts you actually need.
Does the company sell those as extras?

There isn't a universal "rail" that fits in those spaces.

I've never bought a case that required rails, that did not include them in the package.
Not one.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Because it's a cheaply built Chinese knockoff, which is not a great source of detailed, accurate descriptions in English.

It looks like this case has removable three-drive cage for 3.5" drives which you screw the drives directly to.

Blazedsrr

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020
Hmm I mean yeah they just weren't in there, and no they don't sell them themselves it's weird I don't really care that much about astetics so is there any other way to get the hard drive somewhat securely in there at all without using that?