[SOLVED] Hard drive says it has 127 petabytes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
my older brother gave me his old 2009 macbook to have a look at, he said he wanted to get his music off of the macbook because it was broken. i had a look at it and it wasnt booting. so i took the hard drive out, got an extension and plugged it into my windows laptop via usb. it didnt show up in file explorer so when i looked at it though diskpart, it said it had 127 petabytes. so, im pooped.

I've tried as much as i can to get it to work without formatting it, but still nothing. Disk Management says i have to initalize the drive but i know that will reset it.

This drive has had windows bootcamp on it so i dont know if that may have done anything. so if anyone has any ideas on how to get files off the drive (if there is still files on there) without resetting it, that would be a big help. thanks in advance.

Solution
my older brother gave me his old 2009 macbook to have a look at, he said he wanted to get his music off of the macbook because it was broken. i had a look at it and it wasnt booting. so i took the hard drive out, got an extension and plugged it into my windows laptop via usb. it didnt show up in file explorer so when i looked at it though diskpart, it said it had 127 petabytes. so, im pooped.

I've tried as much as i can to get it to work without formatting it, but still nothing. Disk Management says i have to initalize the drive but i know that will reset it.

This drive has had windows bootcamp on it so i dont know if that may have done anything. so if anyone has any ideas on how to get files off the drive (if there is still...

This drive has had windows bootcamp on it so i dont know if that may have done anything. so if anyone has any ideas on how to get files off the drive (if there is still files on there) without resetting it, that would be a big help. thanks in advance.
Windows cannot natively read the Mac filesystem. Do not initialize the disk or in any way attempt to write to it or you will render it unusable in either system. You will need a utility to do this. One such is discussed here:

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.