Hard drive shows up Everywhere except Disk Manager

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 13, 2018
Title says it all, The connections are fine, the HDD shows up everywhere (BIOS, Device Manager, Crystal Disk Info Application etc) except File Explorer and Disk Manager, It's really annoying me since i bought 2 1TB drives specifically so i could have.. well 2TB of storage, I got some screenshots if that helps.

*This* Shows where the drive shows up on the OS
https://imgur.com/a/LAt16aA

*This* Shows both showing up in BIOS
https://i.imgur.com/2t9WIdT.jpg

Help would be greatly appreciated, i've been trying to fix this for the past 2 days and it's really starting to get to me...

EDIT: From the WD Blue Diagnostic Software - https://imgur.com/gallery/UMrmIVh

UPDATE: For those with this problem, Get the Western digital Lifegaurd software and "erase" the Faulty drive (quick erase or full it doesn't matter) and it'll fix the problem

Nugatory.

He never said he tried to install windows on the problem drive. You should read the thread again.You supposed it but in factt he said

EDIT: The drive that isn't working is completely empty, the other has windows and everything on it, i know which one is which Physically

And your opinion on dual booting is OOD . I have three internal OS drives. I can and do boot easily from any. You are really missing out on the best back up system. These are separate disks bootable merely by their selection in the board boot menu.
Understand that Windows is a disk OS not a board OS so there is no confusion. Perhaps you are thinking of old systems where users put more than one OS on the same drive. The secret here is a back up plan-that when one drive is inaccessible or the OS is not working one can just boot to the other drive and just keep on going--clone the drive back again etc.

Aug 13, 2018

Did a full Diag, Nothing

Sorry but no. I'm a network/systems engineer and deal with this all the time.

Dual boosting OS can cause tons of problems, especially if you just install windows on both drives and go.

Secondly OP said he installed Windows on the wrong drive and was trying to reinstall it on this other drive. AKA the drive we are having issues with...

Thirdly having dual booting OS does nothing in terms of a backup. This means you now have two OS's which contain different data that needs to be backed up continuously to keep them the same.

This is why a backups are a thing... install any of the 100s of free backup programs, set it to a destination and let it run daily. Never have to worry about syncing data, ever.

Anyways, you offer that solution in an enterprise environment and see how long you keep a job for lol its not even a valid argument for a backup solution.

Now back to troubleshooting with OP.

You try a different SATA cable and different SATA port?

Also Im curious. Try Partition Magic or any of those types of programs and see if you can initialize from the program it's self instead of via Windows? Try assigning it a drive letter through the program as well.

I have many years experience with several OS drives. Never a problem. It is a perfect back up solution for individual users. The clone can run on a schedule, monthly is OK, to take care of incremental changes if one is the nervous type. The ability to just pick another drive and go is a benefit you are not accounting. Even if there are some data not included in the last clone drive, the clone whole cloth solution beats back up solutions which are not boot drives so are not any good for OS failure, like when a windows update hoses the system. It does no good to have your latest letters on a back up file in D drive when the OS will not load.
Obviously this is not an enterprise environment where users do not own the systems, know 0 about maintenance and generally could care less.
In any case clones work a charm.
BTW where exactly does
" OP said he installed Windows on the wrong drive and was trying to reinstall it on this other drive. AKA the drive we are having issues with..." ?

Enterprise is called that for a reason. Things are more critical there and require the best solutions. Not half assed ones like one you proposed.

There is no argument here. Fact is, true backups are the way to go. No some dual booting OS misconfig like you are stating. That is not a backup method. Period.

All you are doing is spamming the thread at this point. Focus on the issue at hand.

That is a very nasty reply. It obviously IS a back up system . Your inertia is perhaps preventing you from a better view. Enterprise ? OK.
BTW . You should not be so dismissive of other opinions,a better one I suggest. You are showing a weakness of thought.

It is not a nasty reply. It is simply fact. Dual booting OS's doesn't count as a valid backup method. Sorry but that is fact.

It is a redundancy boot method. Not a backup method. There is no place in the real world someone would recommend this as a backup solution. Just google backup methods like the 1, 2, 3 backup method or the hot/cold methods etc... no standard methods recommend a secondary OS as a backup source or target, specially if its another internal disk in the same system...

I'm done talking to you about this subject. It has nothing to do with the OPs problem or questions. Return back to the topic at hand.

You are done alright. Perhaps you need a vacation ? All that enterprise work ?
Here's a search for you.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/storage/how-clone-hard-drive-in-windows-10-3663261/
There are a couple of reasons why you might want to make a copy of a hard drive. The first and most obvious is a backup so you can quickly get up and running if your main drive fails.

Again. Making a clone means data will stale quicker since its not a continuous backup. It is a clone at the specific time the cloning was ran and that's it.

A real backup solution is continuously backing up making the data more current. It also does system state and bare metal backups. meaning files and folder can be recovered and/or you can do a full partition bare metal restore if required.

Only reason you should be cloning is for cold storage backups or for moving a current OS from one drive to another.

The idea of having to reclone your system very few months to keep your cloned imaged up-to-date is just ludicrous when you can get more with a true backup solution, specially if you incorporate backup disk rotations.

As I have stated a few times now and Peter mentioned also. Lets take this off the forums post and return to the OP needs. If you have anything else to say then message me. I'm done talking about this with you.

That's great. So make one. That is not a real backup method as that data will stale quickly. Is it a boot redundancy method as I stated before.

If the data stales quickly due to not being continuously backed up. Then it is not a true backup method. It is that simple.

If anything that is a COLD storage backup. Which is backups meant to be shelved for long term storage due to not having much data changes in years. Sorry, but users are changing data on a daily bases, Even the OS alone is changing with just windows updates... hence, not a valid backup method.

Not saying cloning is a bad idea. Go head and clone away. I clone systems all the time. I'm simply stating it is not a real backup method and already listed the reasons why many times.