Morsecode

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015
So last night I was downloading a game patch that would last an hour or longer, so I stepped out for an hour and came back to a black screen saying windows (10) was missing, press ctrl + alt + delete to restart.

Sometimes I could see my hard drive in the boot priority and sometimes I can’t, no matter what it would seem like I have no hard drive.
I tried using a windows install cd to refresh everything, but I can’t even find my hard drive to install onto. Also tried USB, but I just get a blinking underscore on the top left of a black screen.
Window’s automatic repair would either go black for a few minutes then brings me to the advanced options screen where every option does not do anything OR I would get the BSOD and restart.

I’ve tried switching SATA cables and power, any other ideas, or should I just buy a new hard drive. I don’t mind losing all my data, just want to use my computer again.

Feel free to ask for any additional info, thank you

What I would do, is purchase a Solid State Drive (don't use another HDD for OS) which will increase desktop performance (windows explorer, launching programs, etc.) and reduce boot time (from about 40 seconds to 10 seconds) and then you can add a HDD later. (or test to see if the old one works then) It's a win win situation. Minimum 120 GB SSD, but I'd recommend a 500 GB model. Samsung, Kingston, Western Digital are great options.

Morsecode

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015
What I would do, is purchase a Solid State Drive (don't use another HDD for OS) which will increase desktop performance (windows explorer, launching programs, etc.) and reduce boot time (from about 40 seconds to 10 seconds) and then you can add a HDD later. (or test to see if the old one works then) It's a win win situation. Minimum 120 GB SSD, but I'd recommend a 500 GB model. Samsung, Kingston, Western Digital are great options.
Not a bad suggestion, I might as well now, always wanted to get one