Hard drive transfers data EXTREMELY slowly

BurnDownTheIgloo

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017
Hello, everyone!

I have recently acquired a Seagate 2TB Backup drive from Target, and I reformatted it to exFAT for use on a Mac (I formatted it from my PC.)

For the first few file transfers, I was getting 15mbps which is slow, but acceptable for my use cases. I then proceeded to transfer a file containing many thousands of files (around 43,000) but that only added up to about 450 megabytes. The file transfer is taking hours, and transferring in the single-digit kilobyte range. Any help? I need this solved quickly.

Cheers!

Solution
Hello... OK... your transfer are really low for sure... but there are a lot of other devices also on the USB buss and could be a OS "priority" problem, Virus checking?... I have Firewire and ESATA or just connect the drives straight to the SATA buss for a "Need for Speed". I typically strip the drives and use them that way B )

I find manually selecting groups to DL instead of the entire mass... will re-establish a faster transfer rate each time with USB. B / have you tried this as a Test?

BurnDownTheIgloo

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017

No, it is usb 3.0. The hard drive comes with special software for backing up you computer, but I wanted to use it as a normal external hard drive (and I used exFat so it would work with Macs, i move computers a ton.)

Hello... OK... your transfer are really low for sure... but there are a lot of other devices also on the USB buss and could be a OS "priority" problem, Virus checking?... I have Firewire and ESATA or just connect the drives straight to the SATA buss for a "Need for Speed". I typically strip the drives and use them that way B )

I find manually selecting groups to DL instead of the entire mass... will re-establish a faster transfer rate each time with USB. B / have you tried this as a Test?

Solution

BurnDownTheIgloo

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017

I am scanning for viruses now, and I don't know how to check OS priority problems. The only other thing connected to the external usb is my mouse, and I haven't looked inside the PC as it's an ultrabook that can't really be opened or fiddled with. I only transfered like 500mb so I don't think the size of the transfer is the issue, but it was a ton of tiny files. I dont have Firewire or eSATA, and I cant connect directly to the motherboard (ultrabook)

Thank you!

BurnDownTheIgloo

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017
I figured it out.

The file transfer was so obscenely slow because I was transferring some of my decompressed .jar applications, which totaled to about 1,237,900 objects of about 0.25 kilobytes each. The needle was flicking around so much on the hard drive that it went excessively slowly.

Don't Decompress Files Kids!

Thank you guys so much.