Question hard drives gone after installing a new ssd

Blos88

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
hello all

so today i installed a new ssd nvme M.2 970 evo plus 1tb
works fine no problem, windows reconigzed it

but my old drives, who are HDD WD 1 500gb and the other 1TB they are gone, im currently have disc C: and the two M.2 that my board has.

i changed the letters and from the sata conectors.
before installing the new one was working fine the 2 old drives

hello all

so today i installed a new ssd nvme M.2 970 evo plus 1tb
works fine no problem, windows reconigzed it

but my old drives, who are HDD WD 1 500gb and the other 1TB they are gone, im currently have disc C: and the two M.2 that my board has.

i changed the letters and from the sata conectors.
before installing the new one was working fine the 2 old drives
The motherboard has a limited number of PCI-E lanes, it's common for a SATA port to be disabled when you populate the second M.2 slot. What motherboard do you have?

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

*1 The M.2_1 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA_5/6 ports, and therefore the SATA_5/6 ports cannot be used when an M.2 device is installed.
*2 The M.2_2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA_3/4 ports, and therefore the SATA_3/4 ports cannot be used when an M.2 device is installed.

Blos88

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
yes i did that

i have windows on port 1 and the 1tgb on port, 3 nothing, port 4 with the 500gb but cannot use it

that pci card cant use my gpu blocks the port

if i buy a ne board maybe i could use all the drives?

that pci card cant use my gpu blocks the port
Do you mean the little PCI-E port above the GPU cannot be used? I assume you don't mean the second full length x16 slot.

if i buy a ne board maybe i could use all the drives?
Yes you could, but you would need to check the board specifications first and I would go ATX if you can fit it. X570 boards have more PCI-E lanes so they have greater options for expandability. This does seem like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut though.

I think you will be fine with a B550 actually if you were to change the board, you can use both M2 slots on the Asus Tuf B550M Plus and 4 SATA ports. If you want more then perhaps look at X570.

Last edited: