Harddrive cloning with 2 enclosures

bradyboyy88

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Hi,
My friend is giving me his a 160gb sata2 hdd from his mac to clone to a 256gb samsung 830 ssd. I have 2 usb 3.0 enclosures which I was hoping I could put the ssd and the hdd into and hook them up to my laptop and run a free software program to just clone them. Is there any free software to make it that easy so I dont have to physically put the harddrive into my laptop or try to boot from it an anyway? Basically i want to boot up my laptop as normal and do as stated once I connect the other 2 enclosures.

Thanks!

free cloning software here: http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/home-edition/

It may take quite a while for the cloning to complete, since read and write operations are both over USB. Make sure you run the laptop from mains power while cloning.

bradyboyy88

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

I thought usb 3.0 was theoretically faster than sata2. Would it be that much slower?

Also, when looking at the instructions of easeus cloning it seems as though you create a bootable disc , however what I was looking for was a program to run via windows , with a nice and pretty user interface. That way I can use the computer at the same time the cloning is going on I can also use internet for work. Is this possible with easus ?

Thanks

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I used easeus to clone a mechanical drive in my laptop to an SSD in an external enclosure and it worked very well. Actually I did it with both of my laptops, one running Windows Vista Pro and one running Windows 7 Home.

I don't see why doing it from 2 separate external enclosures would be a problem.

bradyboyy88

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

My laptop laptop is a lenovo t430 with windows 7. My friends laptop is a macbook 13" unibody(08) . I am taking out his hdd and putting in enclosure, then I am taking a new ssd and putting it in enclosure. Then I plan on hooking both of these enclosures up to my t430 and use some cloning software as stated to make exact replica to ssd. I was wondering if there was software that actually runs off of windows 7 though so while everything is cloning , I can still use my laptop for internet and such.

bradyboyy88

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

When you use easus , did you use the free version? Also, did you run easus before windows boots up ( boot from a disc image of easus) or does easus offer a nice user interface to run the program after windows 7 boots up?

Sorry if I am being confusing and making this more complicated than what it exactually is

Latest posts