Question Hardware failure

Aug 9, 2024

GIGABYTE B760M DS3H AX LGA1700

I-5 12600K

PNY GeForce RTX™ 4070 12GB XLR8 Gaming Verto Epic-X RGB™ Triple Fan Graphics Card DLSS 3

Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe Gen4 3D NAND NVMe M.2 Gaming SSD, up to 6600MB/s - CT2000P5PSSD8, Solid State Drive

Corsair Vengence 32GB 2x16 6400Mhz CL36 XMP

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W Snow Edition SLI/Crossfire Ready 80+ Gold Ultra

Built this system, first set of RAM was DOA, put different RAM in, worked fine for 6 months. Computer would not boot again after 6 months, put in new RAM and it worked fine. Suddenly the computer started freezing if I left a game on pause for an hour or more. I would reboot and it would be all back to normal. Now it started an automatic repair loop, I format and installed windows 11 again, booted into windows and then after restart entered a repair loop, installed windows a third time, same issue. I swapped RAM around, did one stick and it would go into windows but as soon as I did one or two restarts it would enter a repair loop.

I cleared CMOS, and did a RAM reseat, and it would boot up into windows and as soon as restarting it would do a repair loop again. I removed the graphics card and it booted into windows fine, restarted 3x and no issue. I inserted the graphics card again and it worked fine for a few restarts and then entered the repair loop again. If I move the RAM around and install just one it will boot into windows one time and then have the same issue.

I have tried rolling back the BIOS to F3, clearing CMOS, reseating RAM and GPU. Every time I change something hardware wise it will load into windows at least one time. I tried a clean install after the BIOS roll back, did the DDU tool, put in older NVIDIA drivers and it seemed good and restarted several times. Went to power my PC back on this morning and back to the repair loop.

Considering this being the 3rd set of RAM, I am wondering if maybe I should swap the motherboard. I have a PSU tester arriving tonight as well. I am hoping its not the 1 year old GPU considering I did not realize PNY required you to register within 30 days or the 3 year warranty is not applicable... such BS, wont buy PNY again or skip registering an item with a manufacturer.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I have a PSU tester arriving tonight as well.
That thing is waste of money. Since all it does, is testing PSU without any load what-so-ever.

Also, PSU doesn't cause Win repair issue, UNLESS, PSU sends out of spec voltages to the storage drive, damaging it and corrupting files on there. But you can run drive checks and look if SSD is sound or not.

I am wondering if maybe I should swap the motherboard.
Since everything is all over the place, i'd also suggest new MoBo.

Reactions: Runstopwalk
Aug 9, 2024
That thing is waste of money. Since all it does, is testing PSU without any load what-so-ever.

Also, PSU doesn't cause Win repair issue, UNLESS, PSU sends out of spec voltages to the storage drive, damaging it and corrupting files on there. But you can run drive checks and look if SSD is sound or not.

Since everything is all over the place, i'd also suggest new MoBo.

Thank you for the input, I am hoping it is just the board as it would be cheaper than say the GPU. Now to decide which LGA1700 board to get. I used to be a diehard ASUS guy back in the day but heard negative things, and not sure I want to get another Gigabyte LGA1700 board again with this one crapping the bed.