Question Hardware failure ?

Aug 9, 2024

GIGABYTE B760M DS3H AX LGA1700

I-5 12600K

PNY GeForce RTX™ 4070 12GB XLR8 Gaming Verto Epic-X RGB™ Triple Fan Graphics Card DLSS 3

Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe Gen4 3D NAND NVMe M.2 Gaming SSD, up to 6600MB/s - CT2000P5PSSD8, Solid State Drive

Corsair Vengence 32GB 2x16 6400Mhz CL36 XMP

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W Snow Edition SLI/Crossfire Ready 80+ Gold Ultra

Built this system, first set of RAM was DOA, put different RAM in, worked fine for 6 months. Computer would not boot again after 6 months, put in new RAM and it worked fine. Suddenly the computer started freezing if I left a game on pause for an hour or more. I would reboot and it would be all back to normal. Now it started an automatic repair loop, I format and installed windows 11 again, booted into windows and then after restart entered a repair loop, installed windows a third time, same issue. I swapped RAM around, did one stick and it would go into windows but as soon as I did one or two restarts it would enter a repair loop.

I cleared CMOS, and did a RAM reseat, and it would boot up into windows and as soon as restarting it would do a repair loop again. I removed the graphics card and it booted into windows fine, restarted 3x and no issue. I inserted the graphics card again and it worked fine for a few restarts and then entered the repair loop again. If I move the RAM around and install just one it will boot into windows one time and then have the same issue.

I have tried rolling back the BIOS to F3, clearing CMOS, reseating RAM and GPU. Every time I change something hardware wise it will load into windows at least one time. I tried a clean install after the BIOS roll back, did the DDU tool, put in older NVIDIA drivers and it seemed good and restarted several times. Went to power my PC back on this morning and back to the repair loop.

Considering this being the 3rd set of RAM, I am wondering if maybe I should swap the motherboard. I have a PSU tester arriving tonight as well. I am hoping its not the 1 year old GPU considering I did not realize PNY required you to register within 30 days or the 3 year warranty is not applicable... such BS, wont buy PNY again or skip registering an item with a manufacturer.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I have a PSU tester arriving tonight as well.
That thing is waste of money. Since all it does, is testing PSU without any load what-so-ever.

Also, PSU doesn't cause Win repair issue, UNLESS, PSU sends out of spec voltages to the storage drive, damaging it and corrupting files on there. But you can run drive checks and look if SSD is sound or not.

I am wondering if maybe I should swap the motherboard.
Since everything is all over the place, i'd also suggest new MoBo.

Reactions: Runstopwalk
Aug 9, 2024
That thing is waste of money. Since all it does, is testing PSU without any load what-so-ever.

Also, PSU doesn't cause Win repair issue, UNLESS, PSU sends out of spec voltages to the storage drive, damaging it and corrupting files on there. But you can run drive checks and look if SSD is sound or not.

Since everything is all over the place, i'd also suggest new MoBo.

Thank you for the input, I am hoping it is just the board as it would be cheaper than say the GPU. Now to decide which LGA1700 board to get. I used to be a diehard ASUS guy back in the day but heard negative things, and not sure I want to get another Gigabyte LGA1700 board again with this one crapping the bed.

Aug 9, 2024
With Asus and Gigabyte out of the picture, not much choice.

I'm personally using MSI MoBos and 0 issues with those thus far.

Other options are AsRock, EVGA (very solid but few options only), NZXT (more options than EVGA but still limited) and Biostar (i don't think you'd want Biostar :D ).
Went with MSI, booted up and into windows and all looked well, then restarted and black screen unless I use the onboard graphics. I am thinking this card is toast or the PSU isnt putting enough power to the GPU.

I am going to do a clean install though and give it a go since I did switch motherboards with the same windows install... not sure it would help. The RGB lights are on with the 4070, but they also are on if the PSU is disconnected from the 4070. It shows up in hardware manager and has a Code 43 error.

Ugh...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The RGB lights are on with the 4070, but they also are on if the PSU is disconnected from the 4070.
PCI-E x16 slot provides up to 75W worth of power. So, GPU lights can remain lit even when PCI-E power cable is removed.

since I did switch motherboards with the same windows install... not sure it would help.
New MoBo = new clean Win install.

It shows up in hardware manager and has a Code 43 error.
Could be among these:
1. GPU drivers corruption.
2. GPU BIOS corruption.
3. Faulty GPU.

Now, you've essentially validated that it isn't GPU drivers (DDU + older versions). Next in line would be GPU BIOS.
From here you can get new BIOS, link: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/256750/pny-rtx4070-12288-230313-1

So, try flashing the BIOS on GPU, even when current BIOS is the same version as on TechPowerUP. Since current one could be corrupt.
Once that is done and still no dice, it would be safe to assume the GPU is toast.

Moving forwards, you could either buy new GPU, or send the GPU into repairs.
E.g to Northridge Fix: https://northridgefix.com/

Alex, (founder and owner) has YT channel where he showcases repairs. I find it interesting to watch from time to time. :)
E.g RTX 3090 repair:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxnUAt0_YVE

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Almost forgot:

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W Snow Edition SLI/Crossfire Ready 80+ Gold Ultra
Tt Toughpower GF1 is low quality unit, borderline crap. So, could be that it was the PSU which killed your MoBo and damaged your GPU as well.

Here, i'd go with new, good quality unit. Good PSUs to go for, are: Seasonic Focus/Vertex/PRIME, Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi, Super Flower Leadex Gold/Platinum/Titanium, in 650W range.

For 2nd opinion about your PSU, look it up from PSU tier list,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

You'll find it under Tier C, low priority units. While what i'm personally using and also suggested, are all Tier A.

Aug 9, 2024
Almost forgot:

Tt Toughpower GF1 is low quality unit, borderline crap. So, could be that it was the PSU which killed your MoBo and damaged your GPU as well.

Here, i'd go with new, good quality unit. Good PSUs to go for, are: Seasonic Focus/Vertex/PRIME, Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi, Super Flower Leadex Gold/Platinum/Titanium, in 650W range.

link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

You'll find it under Tier C, low priority units. While what i'm personally using and also suggested, are all Tier A.
Thank you for all of the great information! I did a clean install and so far things are up and running for 12 hours with several restarts.

Looks like the new mobo and a fresh install and chipset drivers corrected the issue. I did not realize that my PSU was a crap brand, I should have done more research. I am going to order a new power supply to be on the safe side and not risk any future damage to the mobo or GPU.

I appreciate your help and all the great information!

Aug 9, 2024
Almost forgot:

Ooof, I spoke too soon. I just used Massgrave Dev to activate windows, restarted and the external GPU went blank. I can get into BIOS but had to switch to onboard GPU to see windows.

Aug 9, 2024
Almost forgot:

So I have three desktops, I keep my old gaming computers. I just turned on an old tower next to my new one and ran the 8 pin from the desktop next to it to my GPU and now it works having the GPU using the boot leg power from the other PSU. Going to order the PSU now.

EDIT: Yeah, this worked until restart. Put the original PSU plug back in, got a blue screen, reboot and back into windows with the RTX 4070. So frustrating. It rebooted several times until I activated Windows with MassGrave Dev. I am starting to wonder if that's what's going on, every clean install works until I get comfortable and decide to activate. I just feel like that must be coincidence.

Last edited: