Haswell: News, Rumors & Reviews

Page 100 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
asus p8z77 v price's too high imo. you get only 2 pcie 3.0 slots for almost $400... asus could have added another pcie 3.0 slot @x4 since ivb will have 20 pcie 3.0 lanes.
hopefully other mobo companies (asrock, msi) will have 3 pcie 3.0 slots at less price.......

says who, where did you read that from.?

Heh, you don't really expect any sort of answer, do you?

IMO, Jimmy should just delete all such FUD posts that have zero attached basis. Eventually Triny will get the message and either go away or start backing his posts up with links and facts instead of just pulling stuff outta his rear end..

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

Sure his posts are crap, but I would caution against going down that route, coz that kind of approach will ultimately put at risk, much of the scepticism that we saw in respect of Bulldozer, being allowed to stand, in future CPU assessments.

By all means challenge the nonsense, but I would much rather that a culture of "leeway" exists, even if that means we see such "quality".

yeah. i don't see why trin(it)y's posts should be taken seriously... no reason to get worked up over his comments. i guess as long as he's 'speculating'(as incredible as his speculations tend to be) he's not going off topic. off the deep end may be ....
besides, he said in the pd thread that he invested money in amd stocks and expects to double his investments (may be when trinity launches). it could possibly be the main reason he's hyping trinity, pd and undermining ivb and haswell ever since he joined. at first i thought he's one of 'those' people until his statement on investment in amd stocks. i haven't checked back pages in a while, so i am just 'speculating'. :)
i guess when money is involved, level-headedness goes out of the window....

I highly doubt thats the price in USD. The current P8Z68-V Deluxe is $250. $400 would be way way too much considering the P8X79 is $300ish.

And sure ASRock will, but they are just a lower end Asus (they use the same setups such as Digi and such).

On a side notw, got me my 2500K, P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 and 16GB (4x4GB) of Corsair Vengance. Going to go to work tomorrow and put it all together. Need to copy data tonight though as its on a RAID0 that wont transfer to the new ICH chipset.

Then its to OCing like a crazy person....

g4114rd0

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
gigabyte-e1.jpg

The latest BIOS from Gigabyte Z68 series motherboard support 22nm process Ivy Bridge..."
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3974#bios

From the article:

However, the sources noted that Intel has adjusted its Ivy Bridge processor capacity deployment and has increased the proportion for ultrabook and smartphone platforms. As for the traditional desktop and notebook segments, Intel will mainly supply high-end processors initially.

With vendors aggressively placing orders for Ivy Bridge-based ultrabook processors, some vendors are expected to be able to release their second-generation ultrabooks as soon as May with prices to also drop to around US$799-899.

By the end of 2012, ultrabooks are expected to account for 15-20% of total consumer notebook shipments with the proportion to rise to 40% in 2013 and surpass 50% by the end of 2013, the sources noted.

Intel's new Ivy Bridge-based ultrabook processors that will launch at the end of April will include dual-core i7-2677M at 1.8GHz (US$317), Core i7-2637M at 1.7GHz (US$289), Core i5-2557M at 1.7GHz (US$250), Core i7-2657M at 1.6GHz (US$317), Core i7-2617M at 1.5GHz (US$289) and Core i5-2537M at 1.8GHz (US$259).

Clearly goes to show Triny's observations about AMD eating Intel's mobile lunch is just wishful thinking.

JS, Chad, Badtrip, myself and some others have been here long enough to see the exact same pattern of AMD fanbois (recall JennyH from 3-4 years ago??). They come here posting doom about how AMD's "superior" engineers or whatever are going to kill Intel in this market or that market (whichever is popular at the time), armed with next to no knowledge but lots of hyperbole, and then slink away and fade out when Intel doesn't go belly up like they predicted :p..

What is surprising is how AMD and its track record keeps generating new fanbois to replace the old ones. Unless they are all Sharikou in disguise :p..

Triny thinks Intel cannot design a GPU yet he forgets that Intel invest more into R&D a year than AMD is worth. Hell they are puttin $5 Billion into a new 14nm FAB in Chandler which is almost as much as AMD paid for ATI.

I remember when Lynnfield was coming out. The previous (Jennyh and such) said that their IGP would suck, I and a few others (along with yourself) stated it would have better performance since it was on package and faster connection than with the chipset. Then when Sandy Bridge was coming out, we again said there would be quite a performance increase (double for HD3000) since it was directly connected to the CPU itself which cut latency by a lot alone.

Of course we were dismissed and when it came out performing better than the entry level discrete of the time, it was ignored. Hell VALVe showed HD3000 playing Portal 2 which had a lot of changes from even the TF2 Source engine.

Logic seems to fail a lot of times with some people.

My current guess for IB is at least 60% better than SB in GPU and 10-15% than CPU per clock. Not even adding in higher clock speeds.

we 2500K's welcome you...
now get you a GTX 660 Ti when released and your set... ;)

Just installed it. Running at 27c in BIOS with the Zalman 9900MAX in my R500 that has a fan on the HDD cage and two extra fans up top (140mm Antec DBB blue LED fans) so a total of 9 fans with GPU and CPU, 7 with just case. Let the Asus mobo do a auto AI overclock, put the BCLK to 103 and the multi to 42 so its at 4.3GHz right now and still 27c in BIOS.

Running memtest 86+ on my 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengance RAM thats running at DDR3-1648 right now on stock timings (9-9-9-24). Its flippin bad.

Can't wait to try out some games. Skyrim should like the extra boost as should a few other games where my PCIe 1.1 and C2Q were holding my HD5870 back.

Next I need to get a HD7970 but want to wait till the price drops. Not sure I can ever go back to nVidia. Last time I used them was during the 4X00Ti days and those cards were pretty meh compared to the 9700Pro I got.

Plus AMD does do one thing proper, their GPUs. So I will probably stick with ATI/AMD GPUs until they start to do piss poor like other stuff.

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel®

The Performance Tuning Protection Plan being offered by Intel is a chance for you to experiment with the overclocking features of your processor without the worries of what will happen if you push the procesor too far. The Plan allows you a single processor replacement, hassle-free, from our customer support. This is in addtion to your standard 3 year warranty. In other words, if it fails under normal usage, we will replace it under the standard warranty; if it fails while running outside of Intel's specifications, we will replace it under the Performance Tuning Protection Plan.

So what we are saying is this: Go ahead and push it, we've got your back.
Is there any cost associated with the Performance Tuning Protection Plan? Fine print?

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel®

The Performance Tuning Protection Plan being offered by Intel is a chance for you to experiment with the overclocking features of your processor without the worries of what will happen if you push the procesor too far. The Plan allows you a single processor replacement, hassle-free, from our customer support. This is in addtion to your standard 3 year warranty. In other words, if it fails under normal usage, we will replace it under the standard warranty; if it fails while running outside of Intel's specifications, we will replace it under the Performance Tuning Protection Plan.

So what we are saying is this: Go ahead and push it, we've got your back.

Yea heard about that a bit ago.

Unfortunatley the 4.3OC is not stable per Intel Burnin test. Knew the Asus auto OC was too good to be true. Looks like a bit of work tonigh to get it stable.

mine auto tuned to 4.1GHz flawlessly, I haven't tried any higher clocks.
I'm quite content..

please take pics and post in 'gallery thread' but I must warn you about the cable management, it must be sound
or you will be slayed...
:lol:

My cable management is flawless. Best at my work. And the Corsair 500R makes it even better.

Trying 4.5GHz but temps going too high. Might try going back to 4.2GHz with higher voltage and see what happens.

BTW, which 'gallery' thread?

earl45

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009

When complete post some pics, I would like to see you new build.

Would you kindly post some pics of the cable management? Thanks!

I will in the thread that Mal posted.

One thing though, I don't have a modular PSU. If I did it would be ever better. I have a few cables zip tied to the bottom to keep them out of the way. The rest all go through the back.

Its not 100% new. Just CPU, RAM and mobo. Just glad my 9900MAXB gave the clearance for the Vengance RAM. Although I wish we had some blue so I could match the blue and black slots.

Just waiting for pics to come from my phone. BT is slow as dirt...... Or maybe its because the pics are full quality (8MP) so they are like 4MB each....

Got the images and specs up but they are a tad blurry. Keep in mind it was with my Droid Bionics camera which is not the best. Still thinking of a way to sort the bottom cables....

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

10-15% advantage over SB at the same clocks is too high an estimate IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.