[SOLVED] Have a prebuilt PC at the moment, but want to install a compatible graphics card. What are my options?

123blobthebuilder

Commendable
Jan 18, 2019
So I have a prebuilt PC that my friend owns. They bought it but did not buy a graphics card with it. I wanted to see if I could get some sort of list that shows me which graphics cards I can buy for it that will boost its performance, whether they are budget friendly or could possibly try to break the bank. Here are its specs:

Intel Core i5-8400 @ 2.8GHz Processor
8 GB RAM
120GB SSD
Has Windows 10
*not sure specific specs for power supply, all I have is that Dell manufactured it, has total power of 290W, and has output of 12V.

If there's any more information that is required for an answer to be possible, please let me know and I'll see if I can help out!

Solution
Your power supply is the limiting factor. If it is industry standard (not proprietary) part, then you can upgrade it easily and remove the limitation.

DSzymborski

Titan
But let's say I were to buy one of the higher-end gpus, 2080ti, wouldn't that card be too much for the PC to handle?

Oh, absolutely. When we're talking about GPUs you may be be able to run, we're talking about 100W types that need a little extra power. Not a GPU going near 300W.

Also, we need to know how many watts your +12V rail can handle, not just that there is a +12V rail (because there's going to be if you can turn on your PC).

123blobthebuilder

Commendable
Jan 18, 2019
Oh, absolutely. When we're talking about GPUs you may be be able to run, we're talking about 100W types that need a little extra power. Not a GPU going near 300W.

Also, we need to know how many watts your +12V rail can handle, not just that there is a +12V rail (because there's going to be if you can turn on your PC).
So how do I figure out how many watts it'll handle? Because I honestly can't find anything good with their pc because it's one of those prebuilts that have almost no info on the specs