Ryzen 5600 x
2070 super
Li Liam case
Trident g skill 3600 16 gb CL-18
Evga g5 supernova 1k watt psu
Fire cuda ssd 500gb
Samsung evo 970 500gb

Fully custome water cool.

It started to stutter in canes like micro stutter.
Symptoms are that the fps does not drop. But the percent utilization will go from 100 percent to 88 percent or so and stutter for a sec.
When this happens I notice a buzzing sound from my PSU every time it stutters. And the GPU usage goes down with it for a sec. FPS is fine.
So I take apart my custome cooled pc. And reseat everything and put on a reg AIO cooler. Because doing custome water cool takes hours. I wanted make sure it was working.
It still stutter.

My next step. New psu easy fix right? The psu made sounds when under load and made the GPU bog down. So I thought.
Got 2 new psu. 1k wat. One from Corsair mx edition
And another thermaltake.
Both did the cool wine noise. So weird. Stutter still there.
I swap out my mother board next. Same issue.
Got new ram… same issue.
Swap out my GPU. Same issue.
Swap out my cpu. Same issue
Swap out my fans. Same issue.

I even went as far as swapping out my monitor. And mouse and keyboard.

Made a bran new pc pretty much.
New system specs.

B550 strix a gaming asus
New 5600 x
7900 xtx gpu.
New ram g skrill same 3600 cl-18
New psu pystar 1k watt 80 gold
Ssd WD black s7 1tb

Pretty much a bran new pc.

- other things I did so you know.

Updates bios on 4 mother boards I tried. The last setup keep in mind isent everything I tried. It just what I have now.
I tried 3 different batteries.
4 different gpus
3 different set of ram. In different slots and order.
Obviously reinstalling windows and using ddu uninstalled for drivers.
Tried different monitors.
Different plugs. Thought it was my old house I was in because it was made in the 20’s
But just built a bran new house and still happens here.

The last thing I can think of is that I don’t have a windows key.
And one guy said that in a forum saying he had same issue I did and got window key. And it went away.
But all the research I have done shows that it does not matter.

But at this point it the only thing left to do. Other than go intel and see if this happens with a intel system.

One guy posted here with same issue. But never was resolved.
He had same symptoms of fps being fine but GPU utilization going down with stutter.
He never posted he had water mark for windows or not. But I have no idea. At this point I am about to give up.
I really don’t want to. But it rough 3 years of swapping out components every time a new game comes out. Just to have hopes I can fix it to play the newest game….
But I can’t atm

G-Systems

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
You posted this twenty minutes ago, and I haven't been on Tom's in longer than I can reasonably say accurately, but the issue you speak of seems more related to Windows proper than anything else. Since the onset of Windows 10, computers and processors of mime have taken a downturn in an unfortunate way. At this stage of the game, I can say that [at least] 4th Gen Intels and earlier processors aren't made for anything after Windows 8.

This is an obvious thing to say, I'm sure. Even Microsoft recommends 6th Gen and later. Additionally, in my own testing, I watched an i7-4770S go from "is this going to burn up?" to "Fun and sunshine with a breeze" with a swap from Windows 10 Pro (Activated) to Windows 7 Pro (Unactivated). I'm presently considering a few things.

Obviously, the ubiquitous migrations to alternate Operating Systems. Certainly, ZorinOS and Ubuntu Studio (what I'm presently testing with a friend on not this machine I'm writing to you from)) are in the running for my replacement generic OS. If I want to run 4th Gen processors and save some money--and the world, or what have you), this is the route.

But...what about all of the new software which is Windows-Based that I've bought, use, and loved through the years?

This is where you and I cross paths. In the very near future, I'm going to try an OS by the name of "AtlasOS?--which sounds like a Linux Distro but isn't. It is a stripped-down version of Windows 10 which is somehow not being goaltended by Microsoft, which puts you (me) in the mindset of Windows 10 LTSB or LTSC (depending on the year). I'm hoping that it will be enough of a non-bother to deploy and end this five-six-year struggle with Windows and overheating processors. underperforming. I have a Corsair AIO on my present i7-4770 and you would think I was running a stock intel cooler with a miscellaneous heatsink sitting next to my processor and the fan in reverse. Meanwhile, motherboard runs cool as a fan...with just heatsinks and case airflow.

So, my recommendation: Stop endangering your beautiful new equipment purchases and look in another direction. Your PCs are clearly running. It's your OS. And you're not alone. Windows 10 has been considered a "downgrade" from previous Windows for a reason. There is a chance that Windows 11 will do you better. On my Toshiba Portege, Windows 11 runs quite well...or at least my significant other enjoys it. I hardly use it. Regardless, yes, stop stressing your fingertips with building (unless you simply like breaking down and rebuilding the same machine... Otra vez!) , and check out AtlasOS.. Either that or tangle with the Linux penguin... I hear they're fun and seem to be more fun the longer you're with them. I'm just tired of jumping out of Windows as if the buidling's on fire ... because it's not, just my processor is overheating.

But these are just ideas...hope they're helpful.

G

Jun 28, 2023
You posted this twenty minutes ago, and I haven't been on Tom's in longer than I can reasonably say accurately, but the issue you speak of seems more related to Windows proper than anything else. Since the onset of Windows 10, computers and processors of mime have taken a downturn in an unfortunate way. At this stage of the game, I can say that [at least] 4th Gen Intels and earlier processors aren't made for anything after Windows 8.

This is an obvious thing to say, I'm sure. Even Microsoft recommends 6th Gen and later. Additionally, in my own testing, I watched an i7-4770S go from "is this going to burn up?" to "Fun and sunshine with a breeze" with a swap from Windows 10 Pro (Activated) to Windows 7 Pro (Unactivated). I'm presently considering a few things.

Obviously, the ubiquitous migrations to alternate Operating Systems. Certainly, ZorinOS and Ubuntu Studio (what I'm presently testing with a friend on not this machine I'm writing to you from)) are in the running for my replacement generic OS. If I want to run 4th Gen processors and save some money--and the world, or what have you), this is the route.

But...what about all of the new software which is Windows-Based that I've bought, use, and loved through the years?

This is where you and I cross paths. In the very near future, I'm going to try an OS by the name of "AtlasOS?--which sounds like a Linux Distro but isn't. It is a stripped-down version of Windows 10 which is somehow not being goaltended by Microsoft, which puts you (me) in the mindset of Windows 10 LTSB or LTSC (depending on the year). I'm hoping that it will be enough of a non-bother to deploy and end this five-six-year struggle with Windows and overheating processors. underperforming. I have a Corsair AIO on my present i7-4770 and you would think I was running a stock intel cooler with a miscellaneous heatsink sitting next to my processor and the fan in reverse. Meanwhile, motherboard runs cool as a fan...with just heatsinks and case airflow.

So, my recommendation: Stop endangering your beautiful new equipment purchases and look in another direction. Your PCs are clearly running. It's your OS. And you're not alone. Windows 10 has been considered a "downgrade" from previous Windows for a reason. There is a chance that Windows 11 will do you better. On my Toshiba Portege, Windows 11 runs quite well...or at least my significant other enjoys it. I hardly use it. Regardless, yes, stop stressing your fingertips with building (unless you simply like breaking down and rebuilding the same machine... Otra vez!) , and check out AtlasOS.. Either that or tangle with the Linux penguin... I hear they're fun and seem to be more fun the longer you're with them. I'm just tired of jumping out of Windows as if the buidling's on fire ... because it's not, just my processor is overheating.

But these are just ideas...hope they're helpful.

G
Thanks. I will check out that OS. I have upgraded to windows 11 when swapping out the components. I also have extra ones laying around.