having a problem reformatting hard disk

Hey everyone,
I'm having a problem reformatting my hard disk. 40gb. When i right click it
tells me to close all the programes using it. i close whatever i can and it
won't format. When i put in the windows xp Home cd and start up the pc it
won't boot from the cd. It doesn't even say press any button to boot from the
cd. I am really at a lost. Can anyone help me out? THanks

Sophia, you cannot format within Windows. On next Startup tap Delete or
F2 Button repeatedly until you get into the
Bios. While there select the Cdrom as first boot device. Select Save New
Settings and Exit. With the XP CD in the cd
drive it should boot from it. You can now do a Clean Install of XP and
format your drive. For more Info look here
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

If your WinXP CD is an Upgrade Version then you will need the OS CD (
Win98, Me ) that you upgraded from.
If it's a full Retail or OEM Version then that will not be necessary.