[SOLVED] Having an Issue With My Gaming PC

Mar 4, 2022
Hello, all. I’m new to the forum and signed up since I’m encountering an issue with my gaming PC.

I have a 2 year old machine (RTX 2060, 16 GB Ram, and all other standard components for a 2019 gaming pc), and I’m finding that across games old or new (old as final fantasy 14 and new as Cyberpunk 2077) that I will get a slight freeze/stutter accompanied with a grinding-sounding noise. The hiccup last only half a second.

This has been the only problem with the machine thus far. It hiccups like this but everything will work as normal after. It happens pretty much at least once every session. It’s bugging me so much and I’d really like help as to what it could be. Thank you all.

edit:

specs are

OS
Windows 10 64-bit

CPU
AMD RYZEN 7 2700
Pinnacle ridge 12nm technology

RAM
16.0 Dual Channel Unknown @1199MHz
(16-16-16-19)

Motherboard
Microstar International Co. Ltd. B450M Bazooka V2 (MS-7A38) (AMD)

graphics
VG248 (1920 x 1080 120hz)
2047 MB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060
(ZOTAC international)

Storage
931 GB Western Digital WDC WDS1100TB0A-00SM50 (SATA (SSD))

No Optical Drives

Audio
High Def Audio Device

BIOS version: American Megatrends Inc. P.60
7/22/2019

Games are sourced from Steam

UserBenchMark Results
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50965788

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hey there,

Sorry for the late reply.

That's a bit odd. The driver page I linked is the exact one for your mobo. So all drivers should be the right ones for your mobo. When you say they don't apply to your PC, does it say 'The most recent driver is already installed' or something to that effect?

The drivers are all executables, so when you click, they will either install or they won't. AS long as you've worked through the list for each hardware (chipset, on board audio, Lan etc), your system should then be pretty much up to date driver wise. Once they are all done, if you experience the same issue, then you will have to consider the bios update.

For the bios update, you will need to extract the bios (the PE5 file) to a USB thumb...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

RTX 2060, 16 GB Ram, and all other standard components for a 2019 gaming pc
That's not how you mention the specs to your build. You do so like this;
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Please include the BIOS version for your motherboard, age of the PSU(apart from it's make and model), version(not edition) of your OS if on Windows 10 and where you sourced the games from?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Mar 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

RTX 2060, 16 GB Ram, and all other standard components for a 2019 gaming pc
That's not how you mention the specs to your build. You do so like this;
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Please include the BIOS version for your motherboard, age of the PSU(apart from it's make and model), version(not edition) of your OS if on Windows 10 and where you sourced the games from?
Then, can you run userBenchMark and post a link to the results as it can be helpful to the community to see how your system is performing.

I have updated the original post with the requested info. I hope an answer can be gleaned from all of it.

Just a note, you are running 2400mhz ram. This is on the slow side for your system. Ryzen CPU's love fast ram, and going with 3200mhz ram over what you have gives you a 15-25% boost in performance in practically ever task, but specially so for gaming.

Your system seems to be doing okay, apart from your HDD which is middling. according to userbench.

The concern is the grinding noises. That could be a faulty fan or loose fan on the GPU, or perhaps even the CPU. Given it's a grinding noise, it sounds (pardon the pun) like a fan issue. It might be worth shutting the PC off taking out the GPU and cleaning it with compressed air, ensuring the fans spin manually okay. You could also do that with the CPU cooler, but that would mean having to re-apply thermal paste. Is it possible to replicate the noise, or is it so random, that's hard to do?

What temps are you CPU and GPU hitting during gaming? Do you monitor the system when gaming with MSI OSD or anything?

Mar 4, 2022
Just a note, you are running 2400mhz ram. This is on the slow side for your system. Ryzen CPU's love fast ram, and going with 3200mhz ram over what you have gives you a 15-25% boost in performance in practically ever task, but specially so for gaming.

Your system seems to be doing okay, apart from your HDD which is middling. according to userbench.

The concern is the grinding noises. That could be a faulty fan or loose fan on the GPU, or perhaps even the CPU. Given it's a grinding noise, it sounds (pardon the pun) like a fan issue. It might be worth shutting the PC off taking out the GPU and cleaning it with compressed air, ensuring the fans spin manually okay. You could also do that with the CPU cooler, but that would mean having to re-apply thermal paste. Is it possible to replicate the noise, or is it so random, that's hard to do?

What temps are you CPU and GPU hitting during gaming? Do you monitor the system when gaming with MSI OSD or anything?

let me reiterate. The grinding noise is happening IN-game with the hiccup. Simultaneously. The grind noise is an audio issue. It isn’t coming from the hardware but appears as an audio thing in game.

ive listened to the hardware and nothing sounds off with it.

let me reiterate. The grinding noise is happening IN-game with the hiccup. Simultaneously. The grind noise is an audio issue. It isn’t coming from the hardware but appears as an audio thing in game.

ive listened to the hardware and nothing sounds off with it.

Ah, that's clearer. Thanks. So an audio grinding in game? All system drivers up to date? Chipset? Your bios is way out of date being 07/22/2019. The current one is 01/26/22. It's very likely a bios update could fix the issue.

Here's the bios: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-BAZOOKA-V2/support#down-bios

edit: Here's the most up to date drivers, dated 2022. Make sure they are all the most recent. Hopefully that will sort the issue for you.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-BAZOOKA-V2/support#down-driver&Win10 64

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022
Ah, that's clearer. Thanks. So an audio grinding in game? All system drivers up to date? Chipset? Your bios is way out of date being 07/22/2019. The current one is 01/26/22. It's very likely a bios update could fix the issue.

Here's the bios: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-BAZOOKA-V2/support#down-bios

Thank you, I wanted to clarify. And I could just click that link and download the BIOS on the PC?

Appreciate the Dark Tower avatar btw, Sai.

Appreciate the Dark Tower avatar btw, Sai.

Thankee Sai!! I never thought anyone would ever pick up on that. What an incredible series. I'm in the middle of reading it again for the 3rd time. I'm on Wolves of Calla :)

Check out your drivers are updated before bios update.

Yes, the link is perfectly safe. You download the bios. It may be an executable so you just double click, and let it do it's thing. It's possible though you have to do it through the bios manually. This is not difficult to do, but worth reading your manual and following instructions closely to ensure it's done correctly. Ryzen bios updates often fix minor bugs, can give more performance, more stability and better mem compatibility. It's worth keeping up to date.

If it's not immediately clear from your manual or online manual, come back and we can guide you through it. I'd start with drivers first, then bios if needed.

Sorry, there's a few edits to posts. Hope they read better now.

Mar 4, 2022
Thankee Sai!! I never thought anyone would ever pick up on that. What an incredible series. I'm in the middle of reading it again for the 3rd time. I'm on Wolves of Calla :)

Check out your drivers are updated before bios update.

Yes, the link is perfectly safe. You download the bios. It may be an executable so you just double click, and let it do it's thing. It's possible though you have to do it through the bios manually. This is not difficult to do, but worth reading your manual and following instructions closely to ensure it's done correctly. Ryzen bios updates often fix minor bugs, can give more performance, more stability and better mem compatibility. It's worth keeping up to date.

If it's not immediately clear from your manual or online manual, come back and we can guide you through it. I'd start with drivers first, then bios if needed.

Sorry, there's a few edits to posts. Hope they read better now.

Personally, I love Book 2 and the last the most. If you’re interested, look for the Dark Tower Omnibus by Marvel. It gives great back story into The Fall of Gilead and Battle of Jericho Hill. Great missing link for the mythos.

How can I manually the update drivers? I’ll do that before the BIOS update.

Personally, I love Book 2 and the last the most. If you’re interested, look for the Dark Tower Omnibus by Marvel. It gives great back story into The Fall of Gilead and Battle of Jericho Hill. Great missing link for the mythos.

Ooh, Ill take a look at that! Nice one. Have you tried The Wind Through the Keyhole? It's an interlude between Wizards and Glass and Wovles! It's a superb addition.

So, for the drivers, that's actually very straight forward. The link I've included should open up the driver options. Click the + on each tab and click on the most recent driver for each. They will download and once done double click, follow on screen directions, and it will install itself. It may prompt a PC restart, but this is normal. Then do same for each of the drivers you download.

Once all are complete, test and see if the issue persists.

Long days and pleasant nights (and happy gaming :) )

It could be the old spinning rust of the Hitachi Travelstar that is causing the issue. Are your games loaded on that drive ?
Really, you should replace it with an SSD.
If your games are not on the HDD, then disconnect it and re-run your games to see if it fixes the problem.

Mar 4, 2022
Ooh, Ill take a look at that! Nice one. Have you tried The Wind Through the Keyhole? It's an interlude between Wizards and Glass and Wovles! It's a superb addition.

So, for the drivers, that's actually very straight forward. The link I've included should open up the driver options. Click the + on each tab and click on the most recent driver for each. They will download and once done double click, follow on screen directions, and it will install itself. It may prompt a PC restart, but this is normal. Then do same for each of the drivers you download.

Once all are complete, test and see if the issue persists.

Long days and pleasant nights (and happy gaming :) )

Thank you, Sai. I need some help. Not all these drivers apply to my PC, and, also, this BIOS update isn't as simple as a double click execute. All im getting in that folder are a text doc and a PE5 file which I cannot run/execute. Why is this?

Hey there,

That's a bit odd. The driver page I linked is the exact one for your mobo. So all drivers should be the right ones for your mobo. When you say they don't apply to your PC, does it say 'The most recent driver is already installed' or something to that effect?

The drivers are all executables, so when you click, they will either install or they won't. AS long as you've worked through the list for each hardware (chipset, on board audio, Lan etc), your system should then be pretty much up to date driver wise. Once they are all done, if you experience the same issue, then you will have to consider the bios update.

For the bios update, you will need to extract the bios (the PE5 file) to a USB thumb drive. Then restart your PC. You want to enter the bios, so press F2 or delete (which normally will get you to the UEFI screen. This is your bios utility. You may need to go through the options until you see something like 'bios flash utility' and select to update it. You choose the usb drive, and then select the PE5 file and choose to update. The process will take a few minutes, and once done your PC will reboot and may prompt you to go back to the bios to setup. You can then exit and your PC should boot with the new bios installed.

This might help you:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgTokymDCcs

Solution
Mar 4, 2022
Hey there,

For the bios update, you will need to extract the bios (the PE5 file) to a USB thumb drive. Then restart your PC. You want to enter the bios, so press F2 or delete (which normally will get you to the UEFI screen. This is your bios utility. You may need to go through the options until you see something like 'bios flash utility' and select to update it. You choose the usb drive, and then select the PE5 file and choose to update. The process will take a few minutes, and once done your PC will reboot and may prompt you to go back to the bios to setup. You can then exit and your PC should boot with the new bios installed.

This might help you:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgTokymDCcs

so I downloaded MSI Live 6 and scanned everything and updated the drivers and BIOS that way. It may have worked. I will wait and see, logged onto FF XIV today and played for four hours. Nada. But we’ll see.

I appreciate everyone’s help here!!! Thank you.

so I downloaded MSI Live 6 and scanned everything and updated the drivers and BIOS that way. It may have worked. I will wait and see, logged onto FF XIV today and played for four hours. Nada. But we’ll see.

I appreciate everyone’s help here!!! Thank you.

Ah brill. Excellent! I'm glad it's hopefully sorted. Just remember to keep drivers/bios up to date as much as you can, which mostly eliminates bugs like that.

Happy gaming! :)