[SOLVED] Having issues determining what's causing games to lag in FPS

aSchwaby300

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
Hi. Sorry I never post here unless I need help but I have bad luck with technology and I don't know where else to look. I wanna try to be brief so I'll display everything in bullets.

• 2018: Built new PC
  • New PC runs well. Specs below.
  • Zero issues.
  • 2019: Notice games start lagging slightly.
  • Some games' FPS dip and stutter. Dota 2 is an example.
  • Not too bad but noticeable.
  • 2020: Pretty much the same as 2019, noticeable but not too bad.
  • Get a GeForce GTX 1080-Ti while playing Doom Eternal (that game had no issues in performance except the fact that I couldn't maintain above 60FPS due to my at-the-time dated GPU, as soon as I got the 1080 though it ran perfect).
  • 2021: Starts getting worse.
  • I literally played through all of Resident Evil Village with this stuttering issue.
  • 2022: Notice how we're closing in on Elden Ring release.
  • Try out Lost Ark, No Man's Sky, Phantasy Star Online 2, Valheim, among others, they all have the bad FPS issue
  • It's not that the game runs at like 10-20FPS, again my specs will be below so you can see what I mean.
  • Someone suggests I get an SSD NVMe to install games on.
  • Planned on doing so anyway so I did.
  • Doesn't solve anything.
  • Month goes by.
  • Someone asks when I last applied thermal paste to the CPU.
  • Frankly I've been wanting to replace the CPU for some time as I think it might have something to do with it.
  • Today I applied new thermal paste (I cleaned off the old paste with alcohol).
  • Run No Man's Sky because that is the game I've experienced the worst of this issue.
  • No change.
  • Don't know what to do.
  • Panicking.
  • The timer's running down.
  • Look at PC.
  • Disappointed.
Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB
MBD: MSI Z270 GAMING PLUS (MS-7A75)

I wanna point out real quick I am replacing the CPU with an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X. Hopefully that'll happen within the next week but honestly with the thermal paste not solving the issue I'm having, I'm not confident that'll solve anything. Here's a YouTube video I uploaded of Lost Ark having the problem. I cannot play games like this lol.

Solution
I meant to share userbenchmark results. Here they are, sorry about that.

Also I can settle for a lesser CPU then if that one isn't compatible with my current build. What you basically said there is I pretty much need to build a new PC for that lol.

Lastly my PSU is a Corsair CX Series 550 Watt. BIOS were updated when I got my SSDs so that's good.

Woah! Ok.

What cooler do you have for CPU?

What case and how many fans amd how are they oriented?

Is the RAM installed in slots a2-b2?

Enable XMP in BIOS.
I meant to share userbenchmark results. Here they are, sorry about that.

Also I can settle for a lesser CPU then if that one isn't compatible with my current build. What you basically said there is I pretty much need to build a new PC for that lol.

Lastly my PSU is a Corsair CX Series 550 Watt. BIOS were updated when I got my SSDs so that's good.

Woah! Ok.

What cooler do you have for CPU?

What case and how many fans amd how are they oriented?

Is the RAM installed in slots a2-b2?

Enable XMP in BIOS.

Solution

aSchwaby300

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
Okay I see.
3f4b2db7b4.png
711cb8f0b7.png

That looks right. Also I enabled XMP and while it seems to have fixed the performance for Lost Ark, No Man's Sky is definitely not fixed. I'll test the other games I mentioned.

aSchwaby300

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
Alright I tested other games and it seems like XMP fixed most of them, but I need to make triply sure that this is the fix.

On another note, the recommended settings for Elden Ring require a minimum of an Intel Core i7-8700K or an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X. The motherboard I have, from the looks of things, goes up to i7-7700K (I don't see anything about AMD Ryzen). Starting to lose hope lol.

Sorry I don't mean to double-post but it wasn't letting me edit there.

Alright I tested other games and it seems like XMP fixed most of them, but I need to make triply sure that this is the fix.

On another note, the recommended settings for Elden Ring require a minimum of an Intel Core i7-8700K or an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X. The motherboard I have, from the looks of things, goes up to i7-7700K (I don't see anything about AMD Ryzen). Starting to lose hope lol.

Sorry I don't mean to double-post but it wasn't letting me edit there.
You have an Intel motherboard. It's impossible to use an AMD CPU.

Elden Ring minimum requirements are i5-8400. An i7-7700K will be better.

Run userbenchmark.com again and post the results.

aSchwaby300

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
I was... unaware of that actually. Good to know. Coming here was a good idea otherwise I would've been buying the wrong CPUs lol.

And yeah I researched a bit more and yes, I'm just sliiiiiiightly below the recommended settings from the looks of it. The CPU recommended for those settings is an i7-8700K. The i7-7700K will absolutely suffice. I may have to tweak the settings a bit but that is fine.

As for the new results, I meant to share them earlier but I forgot. There they are. Noticeable difference in performance. The only game that looks unphased thus far is No Man's Sky, like I said.

ALSO, another game I was having performance issues with was Monster Hunter Rise. Now I average between 80 and 100 FPS. So that's another game that was definitely fixed.

I was... unaware of that actually. Good to know. Coming here was a good idea otherwise I would've been buying the wrong CPUs lol.

And yeah I researched a bit more and yes, I'm just sliiiiiiightly below the recommended settings from the looks of it. The CPU recommended for those settings is an i7-8700K. The i7-7700K will absolutely suffice. I may have to tweak the settings a bit but that is fine.

As for the new results, I meant to share them earlier but I forgot. There they are. Noticeable difference in performance. The only game that looks unphased thus far is No Man's Sky, like I said.

ALSO, another game I was having performance issues with was Monster Hunter Rise. Now I average between 80 and 100 FPS. So that's another game that was definitely fixed.
Looks much better. Not sure about No Man's Sky, though. Maybe it's just the game.

What are your GPU temps while gaming?

aSchwaby300

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
It is 59°C as of writing this comment.

Yes by the way, it probably is just the game as No Man's Sky is incredibly demanding despite being one of the ugliest games I've ever seen lol. I couldn't tell you what Hello Games is doing behind the scenes but every major update the performance worsens from what I've seen in the last three years I've been playing it.