Question Having trouble with Intel I211 Gigabit Network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2023
So sometime today while I was in class the Ethernet adapter on my Mobo randomly stopped working. I have ethernet connected to my PC and to the Port on the wall, but in network settings it says “Network cable unplugged”. The cable and port from my router seem to be fine, as I tested the same cable and port with my Laptop and Mac Mini and everything worked no problems.

I have the Intel I211 Gigabit Network.
Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus
Cpu: Ryzen 5600X

In device manager>general it says “This device is working properly” however in device manager>events I’m getting one of two errors.

Device not started (e1i68x64)
or
Device not started (e1rexpress)

I’ve tried just about every troubleshooting step I could find.
I updated drivers from intel
Rolled back drivers
Restarted
Cleared my Cmos
Uninstalled and reinstalled device
Tried multiple different network cables
Ran system file checker
Updated to Windows 11 V23H2
Disabled EEE and Power Management.

Probably some steps I’m forgetting too. Usually I can get things up and fixed but I’m pretty much clueless here on what the problem is, and have no more ideas on what I could try and do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So first I would check the update logs and make sure microsoft was not being "helpful?" and updated a driver or something else. Since you did lots of stuff hopefully the logs are still around.

This pretty much means the driver can not talk to the hardware. If you do not change the software and it just happens it many times means there is some kind of hardware issue.

What I would do is get one of the many linux boot USB stick images and boot that. Most run 100% from the USB and do not affect your windows install. All you really care about is does the ethernet port work. Most these images have all the common ethernet chipset drivers. Even without looking through the massive number of messages that come up on boot you will be able to tell just by using the web browser that comes installed on most these images.

If this works then it is a matter of trying to find what garbage somewhere deep inside windows is set wrong. Reinstalling windows unfortunately tends to be what many people end up doing.

If it also fails on linux they you can be pretty sure you have bad hardware. There really is no way to fix a ethernet chip on a motherboard. If you have any open PCIE slots you can get a ethernet add in board fairly inexpensive. You can also use USB3 devices if you have no internal slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.