Hd 4890 running very hot

tplaner

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Hey guys, my HD 4890 is running extremely hot, and the fan speed never goes above 40% even when the temp rises above 67 degrees Celsius.

I've been manually adjusting the speed when I game in order to cool down the card, however I really would prefer to have software which automatically adjusted the speed. I have the latest drivers, and latest ATI catalyst control center, I would think it would control it better.

Any suggestion? Or any alternative software I can use?

tplaner

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I seem to get some chopping/stuttering when the card gets hotter then 67 degrees Celsius (152.6 degrees Fahrenheit).

I'll take a look at the bios tonight.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Don't go messing with the bios if the card is getting issues at 67deg.

It is supopsed to get that hot, if something is wrong and leads it to error at that temperature it is probably broken. If you change the bios you have voided the warranty.

Though, usually heat errors would cause artifacts. Choppy game play will depend on the game, perhaps you are expecting too much, perhaps something else is wrong. Either way it is not because the card is 67deg, it is because something else is going on.

It is not uncommon for the cards to run 90 or higher, they are not goign to run cold these days. You are gonna get lots of heat with a modern card. If you really want to lower teh temeprature you may need better cooling. Though even the best cooling in the world would have a hard time keeping the sucker in the 50C range at all times.

tplaner

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
When I manually put the fan speed up to 60% it runs around 55 degrees Celsius, I'll have to pay closer attention to what is causing the issue choppy game play.

I'll post back when I have done a little more research.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Yeah, your temps are actually right on target. Your stuttering is probably not heat related.

You could be suffering from a CPU bottleneck. You could have an underpowered PSU. There could be another hardware issue at play. Without more specs on your system, it would be hard to assist in diagnosis.

Nice endorsement for ATi's top of the range card. [:mousemonkey:5]

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

I am not on the payroll of ATI.. I couldn't care less if I come off as mean to the cards. Even if I own them myself..

Though what I meant (which I think should be clear to anyone with even a monkey brain :p) was that the OP never really indicated what games or resolutions he plays at, nor what his system includes.. as we are well aware there are thousands of reasons.. some indeed including not a powerful enough gpu setup.. that could result in choppy gameplay. Including playing crysis on max settings on a display with greater than 1920*1200 resolution, having a serious bottleneck, blah blah blah...

Is that supposed to be an insult?

draconia34

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

your temps are just fine . mine goes up to 82 degrees Celsius under heavy load eg: cod4 maxed out for about 3 hours online.

check if the card isn't close to another pci card that might cause sound to static or stutter or if it is performance stuttering then it might be like Daedalus said being a bottleneck somewhere.

but we don't know what other specs you have :)

what cpu?
what ram?
motherboard?

wasimlhr

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I got SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X 100269VXL Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

I dont think its performing the way it should I get lags in GTA IV

and with medium settings in COD4 multilayer I hardly get 125 Constant.

Is it normal ? ??? :eek:

draconia34

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
not even close to normal !!!! i got 89-200 fps on cod4 max on multiplayer lol with aa set to x2 on 1280x1024 . since my lcd is not wide but a 19 inch. (LG 1919S) and that was with my 4830 . :non:

post some specs and more detail as what you have for a cpu and ram ?

wasimlhr

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

thx for reply

actually I am building a RIG, Almost done waiting for HArd Disk,

But I tested this card on my AMD x4 950 with 6 gb ram vista 64 bit.

I was not even getting 100 FPS on medium setting. Before this card I got 4830 I get easy 125 constant on that I was really disappointed I wanna RMA.

I was waiting to test it with new pc. should I wait or RMA it ASAP ?

This is SAD :(

Is the card Bad ?

wasimlhr

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

I am sorry but I am kinda newbie what is IMC ?

and my problem for now is not heat from my card or temps

the problem is its performance the FPS I get

even in cs:source I get like hardly 60 where my 4830 can easily reach 200 FPS

:|

ok i will try using 4 gb and let u know

if 4 and 6 gb causes this much hassle and problem than SCREW these cards!

wasimlhr

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

IMC of the RAM or the GPU ?

ok my harddisk and DVD rom will arrive hopefully in 2 days will test the card with new rig SPECS:

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB
RAZER Destructor Professional Gaming Mat
RAZER Lycosa Mirror Special Edition Gaming Keyboard
RAZER DeathAdder
RAZER Carcharias 3.5mm Circumaural Professional Gaming Headset
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X
XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish ATX FULL TOWER
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
ASUS Crosshair III Formula AM3 Xtreme Phase w/ ROG Gaming Performance
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power

will test with this and see if teh card works
if it does work with 4 gb I will still return and get XFX coz i wanna use my other 2 gb stick. :cry:

dual ram controllers have a gang up mode when working at optimum level with ram that devides equally like 4 gigs will work to is best capacity and so will 8 gigs cuz it devides eqaully into 2 unlike 6 wich confuses the crap out of a dual controller i've actually tested this comparing 2gigs to 3 gigs loss of up to 12% on 3 gigs and 4gigs to 6 loss of up to 10% on 6 gigs you might have more ram but running an odd number of ram just robs performance

wasimlhr

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

Oohhh I get it now
Thanks alot man so its better to go with 8 GB!

but this much performance drop means something wrong with the card itself.

a 4830 performing better than 4890 on same settings and same specs

:|