HD 6950 bricked?

obeliskk1

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
Greetings community,
Few weeks back i bought hd 6950 (second-hand), now it didn't want to work on my mobo (p5q3 - it didn't recognize it at all), while at seller's place it worked completely fine.

So my question would be, would bricked card cause this, or it might just have been my mobo don't recognizing the card for some reason ?

In mean time i bought GTX 560 Ti, but i would like to make use of hd6950 if i can (i was planning to sell it, but i might use for my other computer).

How to know that, how do i check the bios version? There is also a switcher between bios 1 and 2. Mobo doesn't recognized them with both versions.

obeliskk1

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016

Yes, gpu is working, but mobo is making beep sounds for missing gpu (can't recognized it's connected, eventhought it is).

obeliskk1

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
Guys, from hardware perspective everything is working correctly. I have more then enough psu, it's chieftec 600w one, and gpu has 2 x 6 pin connector. It's properly inserted pci-e slot (tried both on mobo), psu cables also properly connected. Mobo bios updated, everything else working. It's just mobo doesn't recognize the gpu.

So we again come to question, is it possible that bricked cards just won't work on some mobo's, or if that statement isn't possible, then my mobo just won't recognize that model of card. Only those 2 options are left.

First of all make sure by checking on google what the power requirement of the HD 6950 card are.
And if your power supply in the system can provide the correct amount of watts and amps from the 12v power rail of your psu.

Next make sure that all of the power required for the HD 6950 card is connected directly to the graphics card via the six pin and eight pin 12v Pci-e power connectors from your psu.

Make sure that the required four or eight pin 12v ATX power block is connected from the psu to the motherboard.

When you fit the new card to the Pci-e graphics card slot of the motherboard.
Make sure you lift the card up over while you tighten the screw for the retaining bracket of the card to the case or chassis.
A heavy card that can drop down over in the Pci-e graphics card slot can create a stress on the card slot causing the upper gold contacts in the slot not to make contact with one side of the finger board of the card.
So you must lift the card up over towards the top of the case .

obeliskk1

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016

My PSU is way more then i need for this gpu (i had similar card before in tdp requirements), so psu isn't problem 100%.
Everything from hardware wise is done clean and nicely, so i know for a fact that isn't problem.

Like i said i bought GTX 560 Ti few days after, and it is working properly like it should. I'm writing from that computer right now.
But when i connect hd 6950 mobo doesn't recognize it. They are both the same cards in terms of requirements and both are 2.1 pci-e. The one is working, the other is not (eventhough it was at the seller's computer).

That's why i ask if bricking has to do anything with it, because if it hasn't, then i'm just the unlucky 0.001% in which mobo just don't want for some reason to recognize this specific model of the card.

obeliskk1

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016

Well, i would hear and even feel it if there was a static discharge, which obviously didn't happen. And if i am that dumb that after 500 times inserting card in pci-e slot i can't properly connect it to slot then i don't know. I know gpu are sensitive, but they aren't glass-canon.

I still think it's just my motherboard.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

How many times? Ive never seen a graphics card die to static.

I work with circuit boards in the fiberoptic and communication field as my day job and i see it happen all the time. I killed a 560ti through static discharge myself. It sucked. Was going to pull it and clean it and pop. figured meh it should be ok. Card never worked again. Thats the only other thing that makes sense considering a motherboard isnt going to post with just a nvidia card. It doesn't know whether its a amd or nvidia until the pc boots to windows. Only other thing it could be is the gpu damaged.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Sorry but your wrong. Theres tons of cases where a motherboard needs a bios update due to being incompatible with certain hardware - gpus included.

His motherboard bios is updated. Thats what i just said. He already did the latest bios update. I know newer gpu's needed motherboard bios updates to properly work but with his bios already having the latest and greatest bios and since the 560ti and the 6950 were from the same generation era if the 560ti works on the latest and last bios the 6950 should as well.

obeliskk1

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
Since you know about that stuff with static discharge and have experienced one, would you hear of feel static discharge on gpu? Like would you know that it happened ? If you would then i guarantee you 100% that gpu didn't have static discharge.
Also gpu can't be damaged since litteraly 15mins after checking at seller's place (even benchmarking it there with no problems), i come home and plug it in, and mobo doesn't recognize it's even insert, eventhought fans are spinning.

Like RobCrezz said, it doesn't mean they fixed everything with incompatibilties, since latest bios update was back in 2010.
This mobo is known for problems with certain RAMs, especially Kingston, which i even experienced (one didn't won't to work, the other didn't work properly).
So it actually just might have been that one gpu from billions won't work on this mobo, it happens.

Buyer will come tomorrow and we'll check on his computer if it works fine. I'm just sad because if it works, i have to sell it (because it won't work on mobo) and if it doesn't which is even worse, i wasted 50e into the thrash can and got nothing.