Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Need a new Hard Drive, currently have Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ATA100 80Gb -
been v.pleased with it. Will do a complete OS rebuild on new drive, then use
80Gb as secondary storage etc.

Q1 - Would i notice a speed increase if I went SATA 150 ?? are there any
real world benefits to SATA other than thinner cables ??
Q2 - What brands are recommended ?? - have been pleased with Seagate so far
so am leaning towards that rather tham cheaper Maxtor.
Q3 - Komplete have a deal for today - Maxtor Diamandmax 10 200Gb SATA for
£77 (UKP 77) - any good ??

Speedy response re: Q3 obviously appreciated.
PC specs - Barton 2500, MSI KT6V mobo, 512Mb RAM, 80GB Seagate Barracuda

Thanks JonMaC

Dee

JonMaC wrote:

> Need a new Hard Drive, currently have Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ATA100 80Gb -
> been v.pleased with it. Will do a complete OS rebuild on new drive, then use
> 80Gb as secondary storage etc.
>
> Q1 - Would i notice a speed increase if I went SATA 150 ?? are there any
> real world benefits to SATA other than thinner cables ??
> Q2 - What brands are recommended ?? - have been pleased with Seagate so far
> so am leaning towards that rather tham cheaper Maxtor.
> Q3 - Komplete have a deal for today - Maxtor Diamandmax 10 200Gb SATA for
> £77 (UKP 77) - any good ??
>
> Speedy response re: Q3 obviously appreciated.
> PC specs - Barton 2500, MSI KT6V mobo, 512Mb RAM, 80GB Seagate Barracuda
>
> Thanks JonMaC

A1: When I built my Athlon 64 system I switched to 2 Hitachi 80GB SATA
drives (not using RAID) and I feel my system boots quicker and is more
responsive with the SATA 150 interface.

A2: I went with the Hitachi drives after reading several reviews of
various drive and the Hitachi was rated very highly. But, just like
women and cars, not everyone has the same preferences.

A3: Although the price is reasonable for the Maxtor, how long is the
warranty? Too many of the drives have only a 1 year warranty, or less.
Hitachi has a 3 year warranty and I believe someone posted recently
that Seagate has a 5 year warranty. I would look for a good warranty
period on the product.

JonMaC wrote:

> Q1 - Would i notice a speed increase if I went SATA 150 ?? are there any
> real world benefits to SATA other than thinner cables ??

SATA 150 has a theoretical speed limit of 150MB/s. However, only bursts can
acheive that. What bursts, you may ask? Flushing the cache comes to mind.
Now, consider that the cache is only 8MB large, that happens in an eye
blink. Now what happens? The drive's performance gets limited by the
physical transfer speed which is dependent upon drive density, rotational
speed, and the fragmentation of the disk. Current drives are somewhere
around 30MB/s. Therefore, you'd really get very little real world gain from
a faster ATA spec, but it is there.

SATA has 2 things going for it: The thinner cables allow the air to move
around in the case much less restricted. You hard drive is usually at the
bottom of your case, where air enters the case and must move on a path
rearward and upward to be blown out. That passes right over your cables.
Lastly, since the entire storage standard is moving to SATA, you are more
future-proofed. Just think about the people who are currently buying
motherboards with AGP slots. nVidia and ATi have already announced that the
new generation will be the last new AGP based boards. When the next big
break in 3D graphics performance occurs, those people will only be able to
take advantage of it if they upgrade their motherboard, CPU, and (most
likely) memory to boot. Same goes for ATA. CD and DVD drives are currently
filtering out as SATA drives in small numbers, and in the near future
should just about eliminate PATA as the preferred controller for all media.
Then, when the new Blu-ray disks come out with their 30+ GB capacity, you
may not be able to upgrade.

> Q2 - What brands are recommended ?? - have been pleased with Seagate so
> far so am leaning towards that rather tham cheaper Maxtor.

I use Maxtor and am very pleased with them. Honestly, it seems for a time,
everyone is Maxtor happy, then it seems everyone will tell you doom and
gloom about them. Currently, some people have expressed dissatisfaction
over Maxtor drives, but I've been using them for years and all my friends
run Maxtor drives without a single problem with them. My 2 computers run
24/7.

If you're happy with Seagate, go with them. I believe they have some drives
in the 7200.7 series that are native SATA and use 100GB per platter. They
were tested by Tom's Hardware to be the best perfoming on the market short
of the WD Raptor 74GB drives. Maxtor has since released drives with 16MB
cache and 100MB platters.

JonMaC wrote:
> Need a new Hard Drive, currently have Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ATA100
> 80Gb - been v.pleased with it. Will do a complete OS rebuild on new
> drive, then use 80Gb as secondary storage etc.
>
> Q1 - Would i notice a speed increase if I went SATA 150 ?? are there
> any real world benefits to SATA other than thinner cables ??
> Q2 - What brands are recommended ?? - have been pleased with Seagate
> so far so am leaning towards that rather tham cheaper Maxtor.
> Q3 - Komplete have a deal for today - Maxtor Diamandmax 10 200Gb SATA
> for £77 (UKP 77) - any good ??

Out of interest , what is the situation with motherboards supporting serial
and parallel ATA drives?

Can you run both at the same time , and also how many serial ATA drives can
you run in one machine.

--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger"
"Then I hide until it goes away"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.upce.org.uk

"Dr Zoidberg" <AlexNOOOO!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote in message
> JonMaC wrote:
> > Need a new Hard Drive, currently have Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ATA100
> > 80Gb - been v.pleased with it. Will do a complete OS rebuild on new
> > drive, then use 80Gb as secondary storage etc.
> >
> > Q1 - Would i notice a speed increase if I went SATA 150 ?? are there
> > any real world benefits to SATA other than thinner cables ??
> > Q2 - What brands are recommended ?? - have been pleased with Seagate
> > so far so am leaning towards that rather tham cheaper Maxtor.
> > Q3 - Komplete have a deal for today - Maxtor Diamandmax 10 200Gb SATA
> > for £77 (UKP 77) - any good ??
> >
> Out of interest , what is the situation with motherboards supporting
serial
> and parallel ATA drives?
>
> Can you run both at the same time , and also how many serial ATA drives
can
> you run in one machine.

varies from mobo to mobo AFAIK - my MSI can support both at the same time
(friend has one working).
JonMaC

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

"Dr Zoidberg" <AlexNOOOO!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote in message
> JonMaC wrote:
>> Need a new Hard Drive, currently have Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ATA100
>> 80Gb - been v.pleased with it. Will do a complete OS rebuild on new
>> drive, then use 80Gb as secondary storage etc.
>>
>> Q1 - Would i notice a speed increase if I went SATA 150 ?? are there
>> any real world benefits to SATA other than thinner cables ??
>> Q2 - What brands are recommended ?? - have been pleased with Seagate
>> so far so am leaning towards that rather tham cheaper Maxtor.
>> Q3 - Komplete have a deal for today - Maxtor Diamandmax 10 200Gb SATA
>> for £77 (UKP 77) - any good ??
>>
> Out of interest , what is the situation with motherboards supporting
> serial and parallel ATA drives?
>
> Can you run both at the same time , and also how many serial ATA drives
> can you run in one machine.
>

> --
> Alex

Most (all?) SATA enabled motherboards should be able to run PATA drives at
the same time - both my Asus mobos do.

My Intel based mobo has 2 SATA controllers allowing up to 4 SATA drives.
--
Doug Ramage

[Watch Spam Trap]

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

> Out of interest , what is the situation with motherboards supporting serial
> and parallel ATA drives?
>
> Can you run both at the same time , and also how many serial ATA drives can
> you run in one machine.

There should be no problems running a mixture of PATA and SATA devices.
At the controller/software-interface level, all ATA controllers are
PCI devices, and there should be no I/O port conflicts because PCI
devices are assigned I/O port ranges by the PCI Bios. IRQ conflicts
should be handled sensibly by software now (although there are a number
of braindead drivers out there and broken OS's that can't cope with any
device sharing IRQ's with any other device (Win98 USB drivers for instance))
IRQ conflicts are lessened further by the appearance of I/O APICs in
systems, which provide IRQ's up to 23, or further in some cases.

You can have as many serial ATA devices as you have serial ATA ports.
Most controllers support two ports, hence only two drives. Some boards
have multiple ports.
You can have twice as many parallel ATA devices, as the bus is designed
to support two devices on each cable, as I'm sure you know. However
some RAID controllers refuse to talk to non-disk devices on their PATA
ports.
My ASUS PC-DL/Deluxe has three parallel ATA, of which PATA0 and PATA1
are 'ordinary' (I.e. disks, DVD-RW, ATAPI tape devices, etc. all
supported), and PATA2 is connected to the RAID controller, and only
supports disks.
It also has four SATA, the first two are connected to the ICH5
Southbridge, and the second two are connected to the previously
mentioned RAID controller.
My (linux based) experiments thus far suggest I can stick a SATA disk on
any of those, and that I don't have to populate them in order. SATA
appears as a SCSI controller, with each disk being a SCSI disk. (This
is linux philosophy showing through, all printers are PostScript devices
(Yep, even my 9-pin epson, assuming I want it to be), and IDE/ATA can
appear as a SCSI controller (as do USB mass storage devices of all kinds))

In the unlikely event of running out of controller capacity, I can
always add further PCI PATA and/or SATA cards, although with the SCSI
controller, tape drive, and assorted other gumpf in there already, I'm
far more likely to run out of drive bays and/or power supply capacity first.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

In article <VUw8d.93$3g6.78@fe39.usenetserver.com>, "Dee" dee@home.net
says...
> JonMaC wrote:
>
> > Need a new Hard Drive, currently have Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ATA100 80Gb -
> > been v.pleased with it. Will do a complete OS rebuild on new drive, then use
> > 80Gb as secondary storage etc.
> >
> > Q1 - Would i notice a speed increase if I went SATA 150 ?? are there any
> > real world benefits to SATA other than thinner cables ??
> > Q2 - What brands are recommended ?? - have been pleased with Seagate so far
> > so am leaning towards that rather tham cheaper Maxtor.
> > Q3 - Komplete have a deal for today - Maxtor Diamandmax 10 200Gb SATA for
> > £77 (UKP 77) - any good ??
> >
> > Speedy response re: Q3 obviously appreciated.
> > PC specs - Barton 2500, MSI KT6V mobo, 512Mb RAM, 80GB Seagate Barracuda
> >
> > Thanks JonMaC
> >

> A1: When I built my Athlon 64 system I switched to 2 Hitachi 80GB SATA
> drives (not using RAID) and I feel my system boots quicker and is more
> responsive with the SATA 150 interface.

But you've never used it with PATA drives?

> A2: I went with the Hitachi drives after reading several reviews of
> various drive and the Hitachi was rated very highly. But, just like
> women and cars, not everyone has the same preferences.

IBM drives used to get good reviews for performance, noise and price.
Then they all started to die. Then IBM sold their HD manufacturing
interests to Hitachi.

> A3: Although the price is reasonable for the Maxtor, how long is the
> warranty? Too many of the drives have only a 1 year warranty, or less.
> Hitachi has a 3 year warranty and I believe someone posted recently
> that Seagate has a 5 year warranty. I would look for a good warranty
> period on the product.

I've not looked recently but Maxtors always used to come with a three-
year swap-out warranty, which is really useful as you can salvage data
onto the replacement drive and you get a box to return the old one.

Dee

Rob Morley wrote:

>>A1: When I built my Athlon 64 system I switched to 2 Hitachi 80GB SATA
>>drives (not using RAID) and I feel my system boots quicker and is more
>>responsive with the SATA 150 interface.
>

> But you've never used it with PATA drives?

Yes, I installed it on PATA, and on SCSI u160, and I like the
performance of the SATAs compared to either PATA or SCSI u160.

>>A2: I went with the Hitachi drives after reading several reviews of
>>various drive and the Hitachi was rated very highly. But, just like
>>women and cars, not everyone has the same preferences.
>

> IBM drives used to get good reviews for performance, noise and price.
> Then they all started to die. Then IBM sold their HD manufacturing
> interests to Hitachi.

I'm fully aware of the IBM to Hitachi transaction. I've used IBM and
Hitachi drives for years and have been extremely satisfied with the
quality and reliability of the drives.

>>A3: Although the price is reasonable for the Maxtor, how long is the
>>warranty? Too many of the drives have only a 1 year warranty, or less.
>> Hitachi has a 3 year warranty and I believe someone posted recently
>>that Seagate has a 5 year warranty. I would look for a good warranty
>>period on the product.
>>

> I've not looked recently but Maxtors always used to come with a three-
> year swap-out warranty, which is really useful as you can salvage data
> onto the replacement drive and you get a box to return the old one.

There was a thread on one of the hardware news groups recently where the
individual had a Maxtor die on him and when he tried to RMA it, he was
told the warranty was only 1 year and they would not issue him a RMA.

Dee wrote:

> There was a thread on one of the hardware news groups recently where the
> individual had a Maxtor die on him and when he tried to RMA it, he was
> told the warranty was only 1 year and they would not issue him a RMA.

Probably because he bought a bare drive with a store-supplied warranty.
Maxtor's drives have a 3 year warranty. Check out this page on ZipZoomFly's
website, scrolling down the the warranty info. It states the drives have a
3 year warranty provided by Maxtor.

Dee

Ruel Smith wrote:
> Dee wrote:
>

>>There was a thread on one of the hardware news groups recently where the
>>individual had a Maxtor die on him and when he tried to RMA it, he was
>>told the warranty was only 1 year and they would not issue him a RMA.
>

> Probably because he bought a bare drive with a store-supplied warranty.
> Maxtor's drives have a 3 year warranty. Check out this page on ZipZoomFly's
> website, scrolling down the the warranty info. It states the drives have a
> 3 year warranty provided by Maxtor.

If you check out some other stores you will find they are selling brand
new 200GB Maxtor SATA drives with 15 and 30 day warranties. Not all
Maxtor drives have a 3 year warranty. Go to their site and check it out.

My original advice still stands - check to see what the warranty is
before you buy!

Dee wrote:

> Ruel Smith wrote:
>> Dee wrote:
>>

>>>There was a thread on one of the hardware news groups recently where the
>>>individual had a Maxtor die on him and when he tried to RMA it, he was
>>>told the warranty was only 1 year and they would not issue him a RMA.
>>

>> Probably because he bought a bare drive with a store-supplied warranty.
>> Maxtor's drives have a 3 year warranty. Check out this page on
>> ZipZoomFly's website, scrolling down the the warranty info. It states the
>> drives have a 3 year warranty provided by Maxtor.
>>
> If you check out some other stores you will find they are selling brand
> new 200GB Maxtor SATA drives with 15 and 30 day warranties. Not all
> Maxtor drives have a 3 year warranty. Go to their site and check it out.
>
> My original advice still stands - check to see what the warranty is
> before you buy!

Again, they were probably bare OEM drives sold without Maxtor warranties,
but rather a store warranty. Maxtor warranties are 3 years for all newer
generation ATA drives. Old Quantum drives have a 1 year warranty, and SCSI
drives a 5 year.

"Dee" <dee@home.net> wrote in message
> Rob Morley wrote:
>
>>>A1: When I built my Athlon 64 system I switched to 2 Hitachi 80GB SATA
>>>drives (not using RAID) and I feel my system boots quicker and is more
>>>responsive with the SATA 150 interface.
>>

>> But you've never used it with PATA drives?
>>
> Yes, I installed it on PATA, and on SCSI u160, and I like the performance
> of the SATAs compared to either PATA or SCSI u160.
>
>>>A2: I went with the Hitachi drives after reading several reviews of
>>>various drive and the Hitachi was rated very highly. But, just like
>>>women and cars, not everyone has the same preferences.
>>

>> IBM drives used to get good reviews for performance, noise and price.
>> Then they all started to die. Then IBM sold their HD manufacturing
>> interests to Hitachi.
>>
> I'm fully aware of the IBM to Hitachi transaction. I've used IBM and
> Hitachi drives for years and have been extremely satisfied with the
> quality and reliability of the drives.
>
>>>A3: Although the price is reasonable for the Maxtor, how long is the
>>>warranty? Too many of the drives have only a 1 year warranty, or less.
>>>Hitachi has a 3 year warranty and I believe someone posted recently that
>>>Seagate has a 5 year warranty. I would look for a good warranty period
>>>on the product.
>>>

>> I've not looked recently but Maxtors always used to come with a three-
>> year swap-out warranty, which is really useful as you can salvage data
>> onto the replacement drive and you get a box to return the old one.
> >
> There was a thread on one of the hardware news groups recently where the
> individual had a Maxtor die on him and when he tried to RMA it, he was
> told the warranty was only 1 year and they would not issue him a RMA.

"Maxtor DiamondMax Plus ATA bare drives sold to authorized Distributors and
Resellers that have an 8MB cache buffer AND capacities of 120GB or greater
will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 3 years. All other DiamondMax Plus
drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year. "

Dee

BigBird wrote:
> "Dee" <dee@home.net> wrote in message

>>>But you've never used it with PATA drives?
>>>

>>Yes, I installed it on PATA, and on SCSI u160, and I like the performance
>>of the SATAs compared to either PATA or SCSI u160.

>>>IBM drives used to get good reviews for performance, noise and price.
>>>Then they all started to die. Then IBM sold their HD manufacturing
>>>interests to Hitachi.
>>>

>>I'm fully aware of the IBM to Hitachi transaction. I've used IBM and
>>Hitachi drives for years and have been extremely satisfied with the
>>quality and reliability of the drives.

>>>I've not looked recently but Maxtors always used to come with a three-
>>>year swap-out warranty, which is really useful as you can salvage data
>>>onto the replacement drive and you get a box to return the old one.
>>>

>>There was a thread on one of the hardware news groups recently where the
>>individual had a Maxtor die on him and when he tried to RMA it, he was
>>told the warranty was only 1 year and they would not issue him a RMA.
>>

> "Maxtor DiamondMax Plus ATA bare drives sold to authorized Distributors and
> Resellers that have an 8MB cache buffer AND capacities of 120GB or greater
> will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 3 years. All other DiamondMax Plus
> drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year. "

And your point is?

Dee

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

> "Maxtor DiamondMax Plus ATA bare drives sold to authorized Distributors and
> Resellers that have an 8MB cache buffer AND capacities of 120GB or greater
> will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 3 years. All other DiamondMax Plus
> drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year. "

All Maxtor products purchased on or after May 12, 2003 will carry the
following Maxtor Standard Worldwide Warranty policy:

Maxtor Fireball®, DiamondMax® ATA drives will carry a Standard
Warranty Period of 1 year.

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus ATA bare drives sold to authorized
Distributors and Resellers that have an 8MB cache buffer AND capacities
of 120GB or greater will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 3 years.
All other
DiamondMax Plus drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year.

Maxtor MAXLine™ ATA drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 3
years.

Maxtor Atlas® SCSI drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 5
years.

Limited warranties apply to the geographies in which originally sold by
a Maxtor authorized channel reseller. The Standard Warranty Period may
be subject to variations imposed by local law or regulations.

Dee

BigBird wrote:

> "Dee" <dee@home.net> wrote in message

>>>But you've never used it with PATA drives?
>>>

>>Yes, I installed it on PATA, and on SCSI u160, and I like the performance
>>of the SATAs compared to either PATA or SCSI u160.

>>>IBM drives used to get good reviews for performance, noise and price.
>>>Then they all started to die. Then IBM sold their HD manufacturing
>>>interests to Hitachi.
>>>

>>I'm fully aware of the IBM to Hitachi transaction. I've used IBM and
>>Hitachi drives for years and have been extremely satisfied with the
>>quality and reliability of the drives.

>>>I've not looked recently but Maxtors always used to come with a three-
>>>year swap-out warranty, which is really useful as you can salvage data
>>>onto the replacement drive and you get a box to return the old one.
>>>

>>There was a thread on one of the hardware news groups recently where the
>>individual had a Maxtor die on him and when he tried to RMA it, he was
>>told the warranty was only 1 year and they would not issue him a RMA.
>>

> "Maxtor DiamondMax Plus ATA bare drives sold to authorized Distributors and
> Resellers that have an 8MB cache buffer AND capacities of 120GB or greater
> will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 3 years. All other DiamondMax Plus
> drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year. "

Look at the original and you will note he said a DiamondMax 10 200GB
SATA. Reading the Maxtor warranty information on the Maxtor site,
implies the DiamondMax 10 only has a 1 year warranty. It is not a
DiamondMax Plus!!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

In article <uTA8d.143$gj1.65@fe61.usenetserver.com>, "Dee" dee@home.net
says...
> BigBird wrote:
> > "Dee" <dee@home.net> wrote in message

> >>Yes, I installed it on PATA, and on SCSI u160, and I like the performance
> >>of the SATAs compared to either PATA or SCSI u160.

> >>I'm fully aware of the IBM to Hitachi transaction. I've used IBM and
> >>Hitachi drives for years and have been extremely satisfied with the
> >>quality and reliability of the drives.

> >>There was a thread on one of the hardware news groups recently where the
> >>individual had a Maxtor die on him and when he tried to RMA it, he was
> >>told the warranty was only 1 year and they would not issue him a RMA.
> >>

> > "Maxtor DiamondMax Plus ATA bare drives sold to authorized Distributors and
> > Resellers that have an 8MB cache buffer AND capacities of 120GB or greater
> > will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 3 years. All other DiamondMax Plus
> > drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year. "
> >

> And your point is?

That those are the current Maxtor warranty terms, perhaps?

Dee

Rob Morley wrote:
>>>"Maxtor DiamondMax Plus ATA bare drives sold to authorized Distributors and
>>>Resellers that have an 8MB cache buffer AND capacities of 120GB or greater
>>>will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 3 years. All other DiamondMax Plus
>>>drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year. "
>>>

>>And your point is?
>>

> That those are the current Maxtor warranty terms, perhaps?

If you check some of the offerings on PriceWatch.Com you will see that
most of the Maxtor 200GB SATA drives listed on the first two pages are
noted on the merchant's site as 15 day and 30 day warranty. There are
"extended" warranties offered for 180 days, 1 year, and 3 years.

My advice was, and still is, to verify the warranty period before he
spends his money.

Plus

> >>And your point is?
> >>

> > That those are the current Maxtor warranty terms, perhaps?
>
> If you check some of the offerings on PriceWatch.Com you will see that
> most of the Maxtor 200GB SATA drives listed on the first two pages are
> noted on the merchant's site as 15 day and 30 day warranty. There are
> "extended" warranties offered for 180 days, 1 year, and 3 years.
>
> My advice was, and still is, to verify the warranty period before he
> spends his money.

Not disagreeing that he should always check the warranty on anything like
this, but In my experience with Price watch, alot of the vendors have
reduced warranty periods from retail stores. Sometimes a vendor may not
tell you on the site but the unit you are purchasing may have been
refurbished or bought and returned to the Manufacturer for no real reason
and tested fine so they slap a new sticker on it and ship it out.

Dee

Ruel Smith wrote:

> Dee wrote:
>

>>Ruel Smith wrote:

>>>Probably because he bought a bare drive with a store-supplied warranty.
>>>Maxtor's drives have a 3 year warranty. Check out this page on
>>>ZipZoomFly's website, scrolling down the the warranty info. It states the
>>>drives have a 3 year warranty provided by Maxtor.
>>>

>>If you check out some other stores you will find they are selling brand
>>new 200GB Maxtor SATA drives with 15 and 30 day warranties. Not all
>>Maxtor drives have a 3 year warranty. Go to their site and check it out.
>>
>>My original advice still stands - check to see what the warranty is
>>before you buy!
>

> Again, they were probably bare OEM drives sold without Maxtor warranties,
> but rather a store warranty. Maxtor warranties are 3 years for all newer
> generation ATA drives. Old Quantum drives have a 1 year warranty, and SCSI
> drives a 5 year.

Since you think you're so friggin' smart, why is the following posted on
the Maxtor site?

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.a14629af82eff9461400585760b46068/?epi_menuItemID=a14629af82eff9461400585760b46068&epi_menuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&epi_baseMenuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&channelpath=/en_us/Support/Warranty%20Services/Warranty%20Periods

Quote.

[...]

End of Quote.

Do you know something Maxtor doesn't? The above definitely does not
state that "all" Maxtor drives have a 3-year warranty!!!

I had a maxtor 40 g. that was only 3 months old when it went bad.I
called maxtor and told them about it.But they just give me the run
around about it and would not give me permission to rma it to them.it
was a retail drive with a 3 year warranty.I have always used maxtor and
this was the first one to go bad.
John.H.

Ruel Smith wrote:
> Dee wrote:
>

>>There was a thread on one of the hardware news groups recently where the
>>individual had a Maxtor die on him and when he tried to RMA it, he was
>>told the warranty was only 1 year and they would not issue him a RMA.
>

> Probably because he bought a bare drive with a store-supplied warranty.
> Maxtor's drives have a 3 year warranty. Check out this page on ZipZoomFly's
> website, scrolling down the the warranty info. It states the drives have a
> 3 year warranty provided by Maxtor.

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 19:41:27 GMT, "John H."
<jhensleys@att.net> wrote:

>I had a maxtor 40 g. that was only 3 months old when it went bad.I
>called maxtor and told them about it.But they just give me the run
>around about it and would not give me permission to rma it to them.it
>was a retail drive with a 3 year warranty.I have always used maxtor and
>this was the first one to go bad.
>John.H.

There is something missing in your account, it is very easy
to get RMA from Maxtor, often they don't even ask about
running the diagnostic and/or getting an error code.

If they refused you, try again... maybe you just happened
upon the "CSR from hell".

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:49:54 -0400, Dee <dee@home.net>
wrote:

>> That those are the current Maxtor warranty terms, perhaps?
>
>If you check some of the offerings on PriceWatch.Com you will see that
>most of the Maxtor 200GB SATA drives listed on the first two pages are
>noted on the merchant's site as 15 day and 30 day warranty. There are
>"extended" warranties offered for 180 days, 1 year, and 3 years.

That is the merchant warranty, the period that you have to
get replacement from them, not Maxtor.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 08:59:34 -0400, Dee <dee@home.net>
wrote:

>A1: When I built my Athlon 64 system I switched to 2 Hitachi 80GB SATA
>drives (not using RAID) and I feel my system boots quicker and is more
>responsive with the SATA 150 interface.

That is almost certainly a situation specific to your
motherboard, comparing a burst of 150MB/s to 133MB/s, which
is still roughly 2X the STR, there is no reason why the
average person/motherboard would be faster by any
significant margin... and indeed, slower using SATA if the
SATA is bridged across PCI bus as it is with any board not
having southbridge-integral feature.

I did try again with another person there.But same old story.They wanted
to know how I knew the drive was bad and than they wanted me to give
them a credit card # before they would let me rma it.They said if they
found that the drive was not bad they would send it back to me at my
cost.But as I said that was the only drive I had go bad.So I bought
another maxtor.But if I have ant problems with it and they wont make it
right than I will never buy another maxtor again.
John.H.