user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hi

I am trying to boot in Dos mode, either using a Ghost generated disk, or a
system disk created in Win XP. Either way, I can not see the hard drives
properly. I can´t access them via the drive letters, for instance.

What is happening? How can I correct this?

Thanks,

If the disks are in formatted NTFS, you need 3rd party utilities to see
them...
NTFSDos from www.winternals.com is one of them. Free if you need only
reading capabilities.

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"User" <User@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> Hi
>
> I am trying to boot in Dos mode, either using a Ghost generated disk, or a
> system disk created in Win XP. Either way, I can not see the hard drives
> properly. I can´t access them via the drive letters, for instance.
>
> What is happening? How can I correct this?
>
> Thanks,

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Some partitions are NTFS, others are FAT.

I am trying to use Symantec Ghost. It used to work, but now it can not find
the partitions anymore.

Thanks,

"User" <User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am trying to boot in Dos mode, either using a Ghost generated disk, or a
> system disk created in Win XP. Either way, I can not see the hard drives
> properly. I can´t access them via the drive letters, for instance.
>
> What is happening? How can I correct this?
>
> Thanks,

Your post is a little unclear:

- When you say "DOS mode", do you mean DOS as
an operating system, or do you mean the "Command Prompt"
(which is not DOS at all!)?
- What exactly do you mean with a "system disk
created in WinXP"?
- What are your partitions, FAT32 or NTFS?
- What are you actually trying to achieve?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Well, I meant command prompt. I said DOS because I created the system disk
with Win XP, and there used to be a DOS mode...

The "system disk" is a floppy I formatted using the option "create MS-DOS
initializtion disk".

Some partitions are NTFS, others are FAT.

I am trying to use Symantec Ghost, but it can not find the disks and
partitions. I have used it before, created and restored some images a few
months ago. Now I can not access it any longer.

Thanks,

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "User" <User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying to boot in Dos mode, either using a Ghost generated disk, or a
> > system disk created in Win XP. Either way, I can not see the hard drives
> > properly. I can´t access them via the drive letters, for instance.
> >
> > What is happening? How can I correct this?
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Your post is a little unclear:
>
> - When you say "DOS mode", do you mean DOS as
> an operating system, or do you mean the "Command Prompt"
> (which is not DOS at all!)?
> - What exactly do you mean with a "system disk
> created in WinXP"?
> - What are your partitions, FAT32 or NTFS?
> - What are you actually trying to achieve?

As Thomas Wendell suggested, run ntfsdos to make your NTFS
partitions visible. This should enable you to locate your Ghost
image files.

Personally I do not think that image files should be stored on
the PC's working disk. It defies the purpose of creating images.
I store all my images on removeable disks. This is much, much
safer.