ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I installed an "old" HD(Windows ME, FAT32) in a new
computer running XP. The drive appears in Computer
Management/Disk management as Drive 1 but has no volume
name. The only option available on right click
is "delete partition"..."Change drive letter and paths"
is not available.

What do I do to be able to access this old drive without
losing the information already on it? Thanks, KMF.

Did you use Disk Compression on this drive? This seems to be the only
time I see that XP is unable to do anything with the partition. In this
case, I would actually suggest making a Bart's PE Builder disk (which
basically boots off CD into a Virtual Windows type of environment. You
should be able to do what you want from there:
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

----
Nathan McNulty

Ken wrote:
> I installed an "old" HD(Windows ME, FAT32) in a new
> computer running XP. The drive appears in Computer
> Management/Disk management as Drive 1 but has no volume
> name. The only option available on right click
> is "delete partition"..."Change drive letter and paths"
> is not available.
>
> What do I do to be able to access this old drive without
> losing the information already on it? Thanks, KMF.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Thanks for the response. No disk compression was used.
Again, the device and drivers appear to be working
properly ie "Healthy" in the Disk Management. The "old"
drive was the only HD in the old computer so it has boot
partitions/windows ME etc. I am only interested is
saving the data on this drive(pictures & home movies).
Thanks again

Try switching Master and Slave, boot from Windows ME, use NTFS for
Windows 98 from the link I'll give you, then copy all your data off the
Windows ME drive to the XP drive.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml

----
Nathan McNulty