dplane

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
All right folks..so I just upgraded my q6600 system to what is in my signature and because I didn't believe in spending the few extra bucks for a WD Caviar Black drive I am using a blue version as my primary drive. In other people's systems the same type drive seemed pretty fast but in this build it seems like often times the hard drive is more or less crawling along..often rattling well after it appears my system is done loading something.

Is it possible the HD is now a bottleneck or could it be a faulty HD? Did anyone else experience this after upgrading? Maybe I am just spoiled and imagining things!

Solution
Well... your hard drive is more or less the bottleneck in your system... IMO

WD Blue drives are decent storage drives but are not as fast as some of the new hard drives that are based off of 500GB platters vs 250GB platters. They are capable drives but I would say you were expecting more "speed" out of the system limited by your hard drives (they can react as fast as they can, even with faster CPU's). If you want to see a nice improvement and utilize the power of your system, I would highly suggest a SSD :D

tecmo34

Administrator
Well... your hard drive is more or less the bottleneck in your system... IMO

WD Blue drives are decent storage drives but are not as fast as some of the new hard drives that are based off of 500GB platters vs 250GB platters. They are capable drives but I would say you were expecting more "speed" out of the system limited by your hard drives (they can react as fast as they can, even with faster CPU's). If you want to see a nice improvement and utilize the power of your system, I would highly suggest a SSD :D

Solution

dplane

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Thanks Tecmo..yeah I would love to buy an SSD but the current generation's reliability is still a concern for me + the price per gb is quite yet at the levels I'd like to them at. Hopefully these next 6 months or so will see a lot of growth in the SSD category.