Nov 30, 2021
I'm reviving a build from 2011ish to capture old raw dvcam footage to show to wedding studios as I get back to shooting/editing.

Will build a 4K system soon but for now my main specs are -
i7 - 860, 6G ram on a Asus P6T WS Pro. This mobo has 2x PCIe 16x , my Quadro FX 1500 is taking up 1 slot. I want to add USB 3.2 internal card that will take up the other 16x. Since the 16x slots will be shared, what kind of transfer speed hit should I expect from 10G asec? I could move the video card to the PCIe 1x slot for a better Quadro card( used $40) Would that be worth it? Should I just get a new sATA 2.0 drive vs internal USB 3? I'm 10 years behind so thanks for the tips !

Solution
The best hard drives cap out at around 200-250MB/sec in ideal conditions. This won't saturate SATA II speeds (which cap out at 300 MB/sec). And just stick with SATA. There's no point in going to USB internally for storage.

Also it's not worth it to get another video card.
The best hard drives cap out at around 200-250MB/sec in ideal conditions. This won't saturate SATA II speeds (which cap out at 300 MB/sec). And just stick with SATA. There's no point in going to USB internally for storage.

Also it's not worth it to get another video card.

Solution