ChefOfDeath

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
I'm planning on upgrading to 4 gigs of RAM soon, mainly for my eventual upgrade to Vista 64 bit. I currently have 2 gigs of RAM, and what I'm wondering is: will I actually see any performance improvement with 4 gigs over 2 gigs? My concern is that the hard drive (Seagate 7200rpm SATA II) might bottleneck data flow so that the extra RAM wouldn't be adding anything. Would this be the case?

Edit: I am unable to do RAID on my motherboard, but I could get a RAID add-on card (if I did, it would be PCI express x1). I'm not sure how much that would help, though, because then wouldn't the drives be bottlenecked by the speed of the PCIe bus?

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Yup that's totally true so only bother with the RAM once you actually move to Vista. *Shudder*

As for getting a PCIe x1 addon card, it can yield a performance boost. PCIe x1 is capable of 250mb/s on paper so unless we are talking something like a 4 drive RAID0 array, you won't be hitting that ceiling.

byrddogg77

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
I am not sure you fully read the MS artical. It depends on the hardware you have and/or the type of processor. Windows will recognize 8mb of physical RAM, if you have the correct Hardware.

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I dont need to read it - the only omission I made is that I didn't explicity state that I was referring to 32bit Windows, which is what I assume he has now.

tomwaddle

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I have to know your setup since you have or plannin on using SATA drives but the MOBO doesn't support a RAID. Or do you have one implemented now that you can't break?