Question HDD broken connector and pins

Feb 22, 2023
Hello guys,
I have a WD Black 1TB hdd and the sata 3 connector broke along with one of the pins. Is it possible to swap the drive's board with one of a similar drive without transferring the bios chip? I don't care about data loss since i keep backups regularly. Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello guys,
I have a WD Black 1TB hdd and the sata 3 connector broke along with one of the pins. Is it possible to swap the drive's board with one of a similar drive without transferring the bios chip? I don't care about data loss since i keep backups regularly. Thank you.
Picture of the damage?

But given a 1TB HDD is $40 new...buying and swapping the board is probably not a lot cheaper, and a LOT more hassle than just replacing it.

DSzymborski

Titan
Hello guys,

If you have backups, there's no benefit to doing this. Even assuming you didn't need to transfer any chips -- which you almost certainly would have to -- the donor drive would be more dependable than your current drive.

Reactions: mikch
Feb 22, 2023
Have sata connector replaced.
Should be less expensive than replacing whole pcb.

I wouldn't do it myself. Have professional repair services to to it.

But if you don't care about data, then getting a new drive is simpler.
I already bought a new one but i would like to keep this as well

Feb 22, 2023
Have sata connector replaced.
Should be less expensive than replacing whole pcb.

I wouldn't do it myself. Have professional repair services to to it.

But if you don't care about data, then getting a new drive is simpler.
Im trying to find a pc service store that can do this type of job

DSzymborski

Titan
Im trying to find a pc service store that can do this type of job

Any good professional will charge far more than the price of a new 1 TB hard drive. This is a dead end. You would basically already have to know someone willing to donate their time to make it worthwhile. As it's a used drive, you'd basically have to find someone willing to do it for less than $30 for it to make any sense and I would never trust a hard drive repaired that cheaply by a professional.

Reactions: mikch
Feb 22, 2023
Any good professional will charge far more than the price of a new 1 TB hard drive. This is a dead end. You would basically already have to know someone willing to donate their time to make it worthwhile. As it's a used drive, you'd basically have to find someone willing to do it for less than $30 for it to make any sense and I would never trust a hard drive repaired that cheaply by a professional.
I want to try solder it by myself. The sata pins directly on a sata cable. Without changing the pcb board. From what i read the missing pin is one of the three ground pins in the sata connector.