Question HDD dead/on way out?

Hi all.. hopefully quick/easy question for you experts.

My daughter was complaining that her steam games were crashing.. I took a look, and noticed that her slow games HDD (she has SSD for high demand games), a WD Blue 6TB was experiencing a split second drop every few minutes..
What alerted me was I could hear the drive just slightly "tick" as it started to spin down and then immediately pick up again.. but it was enough to crash her games....
I could see a fairly regular 157 code in the event logs (see screen shot).
She does move the PC as she visits friends a lot.. so it gets bumped around in her car.. so have had past problems with connections working lose.
So I checked Crystal disk info and that confirms from SMARTS that it thinks there is no issue with the drive... so I went in and unplugged all.. and reconnected everything (Power/SATA/graphics/memory/etc) and since then (about 5 days ago, heavy use) ... we have not seen any repeat.
So can we say drive is good? or are we living on borrowed time?
Since PC was static most of the time.. the drop every few mins seems strange.. but may be a connector was so marginal it would just dip out on a semi regular basis?

Screen shot of event log --> https://1drv.ms/i/s!Asw-ZJYHTEcTgt0--z8BJzFC0hbcaQ?e=Msio3I

Any insight/reassurance appreciated.

Thanks guys .. I am well aware of the fragility of HDD.. .. so since it "just" a steam game drive, its not backed up (the main system drive most certainly is, and most steam games do save games to C drive)...
So not the end of the world if it fails.. but if it really is on last legs.. I will replace/swap out, hopefully before it gives up the ghost.
Considering the strange symptoms.. on balance.. seem safe or not?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks guys .. I am well aware of the fragility of HDD.. .. so since it "just" a steam game drive, its not backed up (the main system drive most certainly is, and most steam games do save games to C drive)...
So not the end of the world if it fails.. but if it really is on last legs.. I will replace/swap out, hopefully before it gives up the ghost.
Considering the strange symptoms.. on balance.. seem safe or not?
What we;re saying is...you can't really tell.

But given "symptoms", it is likely closer to death than something brand new out of the box.

Use it until it dies.
When it does, replace.

MWink64

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
From your description, I think a loose power cable is definitely a possibility, though far from certain. Now that you've reseated the cables, see how it goes.

Reactions: yoji
Thanks all for advice.. . its been about 10 days since I reseated all connections (data and power) and with heavy use every day.. we have had zero issues.. so I am going to call the disk "good" (and cross my fingers ;) )