Question HDD file system changed to RAW ?

Nov 2, 2021
I have a rig that runs Windows 10 off an SSD and has a Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD for storage. The HDD has become unrecognizable by Windows Explorer, although it shows up in Disk Management, previously as "not initialised", and when I tried to initialise it, Windows said the device does not exist.

The HDD shows up in BIOS and the system won't actually boot unless the HDD is connected. I was unable to locate it running Diskpart when booting off the SDD, but was able to see it in Diskpart when I booted from a Recovery USB. Chkdsk failed because the filesystem is RAW. When put the HDD into my USB drive dock on another computer, Windows says the USB device malfunctioned, and is unable to access the drive in this way. The USB drive dock has no problem with other drives.

I attempted to use Recuva but couldn't see what to do past the first step where it asked where the missing files were, since the drive wasn't an option. CrystalDiskInfo also doesn't recognize the HDD.

I attempted to run the free version of EaseUs to see if it would find anything, but it didn't appear to yield anything. The HDD now shows up as initialised in Disk Management with a small NTFS partition, but the rest RAW and not able to be accessed.

Am I out of options as far as getting the data back? As far as replacing the HDD, I need to use recovery media to fix the BCD so the SSD can boot without the damaged HDD, right?

Lutfij

Titan
You could try and work with TestDisk but like all the other apps prior, your mileage can and will vary. I don't think the issue is something that you can fix sitting at home, rather that you're going to have to take it to a professional HDD repair shop and see if they can recover the data off the drive, if there's anything on it that's valuable to you otherwise the HDD(if under warranty) is better off being RMA'd.

rakinar2

Commendable
Oct 26, 2021
Try using this software: AOMEI.
This is an advanced partition manager. Try selecting your disk drive and right-click on it. Then you'll see a bunch of options. Try selecting "recover", "fix", "repair" or something like that.