Question HDD makes scratching/crackling sounds when booting and when it's working ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2022
I had a hard drive that was six months old. One day the computer froze and would not respond to anything. When I restarted the computer using the button on the motherboard, the hard drive started making a crackling noise. A Victoria scan of the hard disk revealed bad sectors. Overwriting the sectors did not work. The same bad sector numbers kept appearing with each check. I unplugged the hard drive and put my old hard drive in its place. It worked fine for 2-3 days and started crackling just like the old one.

Sep 17, 2022
I had a hard drive that was six months old. One day the computer froze and would not respond to anything. When I restarted the computer using the button on the motherboard, the hard drive started making a crackling noise. A Victoria scan of the hard disk revealed bad sectors. Overwriting the sectors did not work. The same bad sector numbers kept appearing with each check. I unplugged the hard drive and put my old hard drive in its place. It worked fine for 2-3 days and started crackling just like the old one.
You said that replacing the drive with another still caused the same behavior. Did the new drive also have bad sectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.