[SOLVED] HDD Min/Max Temp is 24/43 Celsius but my HDD often easily reaches 45 and above while gaming everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gegemon007

BANNED
Feb 4, 2021
Is this totally normal or something is definitely affecting my HDD, and speedfan says my hdd is 97% fit and 98% performance but it stutters in between

Solution
I don't know how familiar you are with hard drives, their possible problems, and tools to deal with them. But for a Seagate HDD, I highly recommend you download their Seatools utility for free from here

It comes in several forms, depending on what you need. Personally, I like the version that I can burn to a CD and boot from, because that allows me to use it even in a machine that can NOT boot because of its problems. There is a very similar version for use on a USB memory stick if your machine's mobo BIOS allows you to boot from a USB device. BUT for many people (probably you) the easiest is the For Windows version that can be saved to your hard disk and run from there...

Gegemon007

BANNED
Feb 4, 2021
It's not totally clear what temperature HDTune is reporting as 45 C. In the specs for that HDD from Seagate, it says the drive's CASE temperature max during operations is 60 C.
thanks, but my hdd is not working properly as expected, it is showing
Reported uncorrectable sector = 1

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I doubt that is associated with the operating temperature, although it's possible. Consider that at HDD problem, not a temperature one (maybe) and maybe start a new thread for that issue. There are diagnostic software tools for such things. Post the maker and exact model number of your HDD.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't know how familiar you are with hard drives, their possible problems, and tools to deal with them. But for a Seagate HDD, I highly recommend you download their Seatools utility for free from here

It comes in several forms, depending on what you need. Personally, I like the version that I can burn to a CD and boot from, because that allows me to use it even in a machine that can NOT boot because of its problems. There is a very similar version for use on a USB memory stick if your machine's mobo BIOS allows you to boot from a USB device. BUT for many people (probably you) the easiest is the For Windows version that can be saved to your hard disk and run from there as a common Windows application.

Before you run it, read some of the instructions and explanations so you know what the tool results mean. Most of the first tests are non-destructive. That is, they will READ only, and not make any attempt to correct problems by writing data to the problem unit. There are other tools that DO make changes to your disk, and you will be warned before you try to use these because sometimes writing new info to a faulty HDD can make the problem worse, and there is no "Un-Do".

The most common starting points are the first read-outs of diagnostic data already stored by the HDD in its own resources, and then the Short and long Tests. The Short Test does several tests of selected areas and takes not much time. If that finds no errors and you suspect that there really is a problem somewhere (as may be your case), run the Long Test. The Long Test tests EVERY Sector of the HDD, and can take hours.

Those tests may find the faulty Sector your system appears to report. For a faulty Sector like that, normally there is NO way to get a reliable reading of its data and restore it somehow, so you have to accept that all of that chunk of a file is useless junk. The only way to "fix" that problem is to tell the HDD to mark that sector permanently as faulty and "do not use", then "replace" it with a spare useable but empty sector full of useless random bits. Unfortunately most such tools cannot tell you WHICH file on the drive has that Sector as part of its data. The faulty Sector may actually NOT be part of a file, so this "repair" has no impact at all. It may be part of some old file you will never use, and so you'll never miss its loss. It may be part of a file you want and do use, but this "repair" may well mean that, although the file can be read by the HDD, the application that uses it cannot understand it and calls it a corrupt file. In that case, all you can do is try to re-generate that file in some other way, and delete the old corrupted version.

So, what the tests find, and what you can do to "fix" that, will vary. Beyond that, SOME types of reuslt may indicate that there is more than one problem spot. Sometimes the problems are more numerous and indicate a really faulty drive that may need replacement. In those cases the replacement might be under warranty for a new unit. For that reason, if you do get error messages about specific problems, write down that info. If you request assistance or warranty replacement, Seagate will want to know that info.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.