[SOLVED] HDD not recognized with M.2 drive installed

Mar 10, 2022
Hello all, I've got a weird issue regarding my HDD...

I currently have 4 drives installed on an MSI z390 Gaming Edge (i5 8600k, if it's relevant):
  • M.2 SSD (Windows)
  • M.2 SSD (Windows)
  • 2.5" SSD (Linux)
  • 2TB Firecuda HDD
For whatever reason, when I have an SSD installed on the second (lower) M.2 slot, my HDD doesn't get recognized. Nothing shows up in the bios. When removing the drive from the slot, it shows back up again, and I can boot into linux and see it's there.

The slot itself works fine, since I'm able to boot into Windows from it.

The only thing I have yet to try was update the BIOS.

Anyone experience this before, or have any suggestions?

Solution
Here is the population rules for your motherboard when an M.2 drive is in use. Looks like only SATA5 and SATA6 should be disabled if both M.2 slots are being used with PCIe M.2 drives.

dgCMn22.png
Try the HDD on a different SATA header. Some SATA headers on some boards become disabled when there is an M.2 drive in use on a specific, or in some cases, any, slot.

Updating the BIOS is pretty much always a good idea these days. Unlike in the past, BIOS updates these days are almost a required process much like driver updates.

Mar 10, 2022
I think that is normal behavior for SOME motherboards.

Using certain M.2 ports will disable certain SATA ports.

Should be mentioned in your motherboard manual.

Move the HDD to another port if possible.
Ah yes, forgot to mention I did try on a couple other SATA ports, but not all that the MB offers. I can try a few more slots when I have time. I will be updating the BIOS later today.

Mar 10, 2022
Here is the population rules for your motherboard when an M.2 drive is in use. Looks like only SATA5 and SATA6 should be disabled if both M.2 slots are being used with PCIe M.2 drives.

dgCMn22.png
I think that is normal behavior for SOME motherboards.

Using certain M.2 ports will disable certain SATA ports.

Should be mentioned in your motherboard manual.

Move the HDD to another port if possible.

Hah.. Gotta love it. GPU was covering SATA 1/2 so I have fully forgotten they even existed. HDD was plugged into SATA 5. Shifting them over worked.

Appreciate it!

Reactions: Lafong