[SOLVED] Hdd not showing up in my computer on my new pc

Jul 19, 2019
I finished building my first PC yesterday, I installed Windows and everything and then went to "this PC" but my hdd wasn't listed there. My ssd was showing up fine. After googling a few things I changed the sata cable and then rebooted but the drive wasn't there. I went into diskmgmt and saw the drive there but when I right click it all the options are greyed out. I updated drivers already too. Any help will be greatly appreciated. One more thing, one USB 3.0 port on the front panel doesn't work, I connected the USB 3.0 fine. Just one port isn't working all the rest are working fine, could it be a fault or did I leave out to plug something?

Solution
What's your specs?

If your setup includes an m2 ssd sata or nvme check your mobo manual if and which sata ports are disabled. It's possible the original sata port is disabled then coincidentally moved the cable to another disabled port. Depending on motherboard, an m2 ssd can disable two sata ports so check which ones to use.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What's your specs?

If your setup includes an m2 ssd sata or nvme check your mobo manual if and which sata ports are disabled. It's possible the original sata port is disabled then coincidentally moved the cable to another disabled port. Depending on motherboard, an m2 ssd can disable two sata ports so check which ones to use.

Reactions: Asjadarif
Solution
Jul 19, 2019
What's your specs?

Okay thanks, I will try to look it up. My board is a aorus pro wifi mini itx and yes it has m2 slots. Any advise on the USB port not working as well? :)

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
If the drive is new and empty and for whatever reason Microsoft won't let you format and assign a drive letter, you could use something like ActiveKillDisc to wipe and and see if Windows will allow you to after, or just act like you are installing Windows and use the installer to create a partition on the hard drive by selecting it in the list and clicking create new under the list, and just closing that window and backing out.

Reactions: Asjadarif
Jul 19, 2019
Thank you :) I will try that. Any advise on one USB port not working? Is it possible that a single USB port is powered with a different cable than all others even though being a USB 3.0?

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
I believe they are both USB 3.0 as they are both blue? I could be wrong. The case I have is the nzxt h200i

I/O Ports2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1
1 x Audio/Mic

Is what it shows, does it have the strange little plug https://prnt.sc/oz9awq or the big one https://prnt.sc/oz9bm6 plugged into the motherboard? If you used an adapter an plugged into the big port on the motherboard half the front ports is a common issue, honestly I don't know why, my front is just regular 3.0

Jul 19, 2019
I/O Ports2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1
1 x Audio/Mic

Is what it shows, does it have the strange little plug https://prnt.sc/oz9awq or the big one https://prnt.sc/oz9bm6 plugged into the motherboard? If you used an adapter an plugged into the big port on the motherboard half the front ports is a common issue, honestly I don't know why, my front is just regular 3.0
It had two USB cables coming out, the small one wasn't like the one you sent, it was like a 8 pin connector. As far as I remember it said USB on the side. The other one was the blue one which was the USB 3.0. I connected the small one in to mobo where it said USB and USB 3.0 in the USB 3.0 slot. To take out the small USB cable I will need to take the gpu out :(

Jul 19, 2019
Yea I know the hd audio one, it's a mini itx board so it's crammed up. The hd audio is on the left side of the gpu and the USB one is on the right side of the gpu under it.

TRENDING THREADS