HDD not spinning....?

gcannon

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Hello,
Thank you SO much for your response, John! The HDD is powered up, the green light is on, the cables are okay, but the HDD is NOT spinning. Any hope? Return or buy a new one?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hi again,

It depends how old the removable drive is. If in warranty, I'd have it replaced.

If out of warranty and you are good at taking things apart, you can remove the case cover, remove the drive and connect it to your desktop computer power cable to see if it will spin up. (There's always a possibility the problem is in the case power connector or even the protocol conversion chip in the case.)

If it won't spin up either way, then it's a defective HDD.

(Best to just click on the Reply button (bottom) as in your prior post, which keeps your thread and communication together, rather than starting a new Post)

gcannon

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
I tried to get the case cover off & failed (any suggestions?) I used a screwdriver to try to pry it off - can't see anything else to do - or don't have the proper tool. I used a lot of pressure, but it doesn't budge. I guess I can take it to my friends at Duke to see if they can help... Again, thank you very much for your suggetions and help.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

You're welcome, Gail.

One thing to consider. Turn your new removable drive off before you connect it to your computer, and before disconnecting it, make sure you have clicked on the 'Safe to remove mass drive'. I always turn mine off also just for safety before disconnecting it.

Some of the removable drive corruption problems may be related to removing the USB or SATA cable before the drive is done writing cached data to the drive.