HDD Shipments to Drop by 35% in Q4 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyP41077

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Insane.... went online to check out prices the other day and it was $200 for a 2TB drive that was $60 3 months ago. I then went to check out EBay and they were the same price. So you have to love that junk. The people on ebay selling there drives for 3x what they paid for them. What a crock of S*IT!!

fwaits

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Yeah this is hurting enterprises that want to buy some SAN or NAS devices right now. It's like $5/gallon gasoline in the US. heh

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
buy an SSD, and you solve both the problem of an HDD bottlenecking your system, and overpaying for HDDs.

The big issue is that everybody thinks they need a TB drive in their PC, which is totally untrue. There are very few situations that call even for the mass of a 500 gb drive. Unless you're pirating tons of music/videos, taking DSLR high res photos and storing thousands of them, or running some manner of home or corporate server, there is no reason you should need even more than 120 GB of storage, even with an install on it.

Anybody who says otherwise doesn't know how to properly manage storage space. I recently had to install Arkham City on my PC with a 120 GB SSD, and although I had to clean off some unused items, I managed to make room with about 5 gb to spare.

Point is most people just have junk all over their pc.

[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]buy an SSD, and you solve both the problem of an HDD bottlenecking your system, and overpaying for HDDs.The big issue is that everybody thinks they need a TB drive in their PC, which is totally untrue. There are very few situations that call even for the mass of a 500 gb drive. Unless you're pirating tons of music/videos, taking DSLR high res photos and storing thousands of them, or running some manner of home or corporate server, there is no reason you should need even more than 120 GB of storage, even with an install on it.Anybody who says otherwise doesn't know how to properly manage storage space. I recently had to install Arkham City on my PC with a 120 GB SSD, and although I had to clean off some unused items, I managed to make room with about 5 gb to spare. Point is most people just have junk all over their pc.[/citation]

Don't come to my house, I fill up drives rather fast. Video projects to other interests like backups ect. Got 8 drives in my game rig, 3x 2TB that I paid $80 a few months ago, 4x 1TB, and a little 30gb ssd that I use for paging.

SSDs are made from Nand chips, so they are affect when flash RAM prices go up. They have no moving parts. There are 2 main types SLC (1st generation) Single Link Cell very expensive, and the newer MLC Multi linked Cell this is what most of the popular models use. Not as fast or reliable as SLC but a lot cheaper.

[citation][nom]Squander[/nom]Where do SSDs get made? Why haven't those been effected?[/citation]
None in Thailand.

Most are made in China, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan ,USA.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]buy an SSD, and you solve both the problem of an HDD bottlenecking your system, and overpaying for HDDs.The big issue is that everybody thinks they need a TB drive in their PC, which is totally untrue. There are very few situations that call even for the mass of a 500 gb drive. Unless you're pirating tons of music/videos, taking DSLR high res photos and storing thousands of them, or running some manner of home or corporate server, there is no reason you should need even more than 120 GB of storage, even with an install on it.Anybody who says otherwise doesn't know how to properly manage storage space. I recently had to install Arkham City on my PC with a 120 GB SSD, and although I had to clean off some unused items, I managed to make room with about 5 gb to spare. Point is most people just have junk all over their pc.[/citation]
Don't draw conclusions representing EVERYONE'S situation based on your experience. It seems as though you are representing the average user in your assumption, not the smaller percentage of the market. So technically, not everyone can do with a 120GB HDD. About 20 to 30GB is for a Windows Install, about 200GB is for over a dozen games which I play frequently, and maybe 10GB or so for word documents, photos, videos, and so on. That's approx. 240GB. That's excluding backups of important files. The only junk present is about 1GB of deleted data in the Recycle Bin. HDD can fill up quickly depending on uses and needs. If you can live off of 120GB, then good for you, but not all of us can.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
This is the last big "cha-ching" for the old, tired, and slow hard disk drive. Starting next year, the rest of Apples best selling computers (the MacBook Pro and iMac) will probably use solid state drives exclusively. PC makers will follow Apple's lead in 2013...they always do. Imagine every computer in the world shipping without a hard disk drive. The once mighty hard disk drive relegated solely to the chore of secondary storage. That will bring the prices down...for good.

G

I was planning to buy Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB for $72, but then it jumped to $182-227 in a matter of weeks. I settled with 1.5 month used WD Caviar Blue 640GB for $100, better than waiting for Q4 2012 when prices are expected to drop.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Hmm... right now I have 427GB used. Granted, much of that is due to torrents (software mainly, some games), and lots of virtual machines, but otherwise it's still maybe 250GB or so, including the OS. I can't see myself using an SSD as the main drive, though an 128GB SSD for the os would be fine.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

i need tb of storage, and its not all from pirateing, much of it is games, and i dont uninstall the good ones ever because god knows the moment i do, i use up the space i got from uninstalling it, and get a craving to play it again.

point is, im running out of space and need a 2tb drive, but i need 2, one for backing up the first.

ssds are overpriced to the point that hdd, no matter how much they cost, will still look like the better solution.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I wanted to buy 4 or 5 Hard drives for a home server but now it is out of the question, why do I get the feeling they will milk this for as long as possible. Also forget about SSD's they are way to expensive for a lot of storage...I think they are milking the prices of SSD's too.

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
It seems as though you are representing the average user in your assumption, not the smaller percentage of the market

I think the smaller percentage of the market (in terms of dollars spent) are not users who only use 120 gb of space.

I always like to think of market size in terms of dollars spent, not the number of consumers in a particular market segment.

fishing666

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Glad I got my 2 terabyte drive when it was $70. The real question is not when production in Thailand resumes but when prices goes back to normal. When crude oil dropped, prices at the pump didn't go down and even when it was about to go down crude oil went back up nullifying the intent to lower prices.

SSD's are looking like a solid buy for those who don't use that much storage.

looks like hdd makers(wd and seagate mostly) will milk/exploit this disaster situation for a while. this will make a !@#$ load of money for hdd manufacturers and retailers during upcoming holidays. prices are so high that ssds are starting to look like a good option!
i hope customers respond with enough dissatisfaction so that hdd manufacturers and retailers don't set prices so high.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Don't come to my house, I fill up drives rather fast. Video projects to other interests like backups ect. Got 8 drives in my game rig, 3x 2TB that I paid $80 a few months ago, 4x 1TB, and a little 30gb ssd that I use for paging.[/citation]

Just add some 8GB RAM to the rig and thus avoid paging altogether. A lot cheaper and a lot faster than having a SSD exclusively for paging.

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]This is the last big "cha-ching" for the old, tired, and slow hard disk drive. Starting next year, the rest of Apples best selling computers (the MacBook Pro and iMac) will probably use solid state drives exclusively. PC makers will follow Apple's lead in 2013...they always do. Imagine every computer in the world shipping without a hard disk drive. The once mighty hard disk drive relegated solely to the chore of secondary storage. That will bring the prices down...for good.[/citation]

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.