Question HDD still won't show after connecting to two different HDD enclosures

JMusic7

Commendable
Mar 11, 2021
I tried connecting my WD Blue 1TB HDD 3.5 inch hard drive to two different enclosures and it still won't show up on my PC. It doesn't show anywhere, whether it's in the My PC file, in disk management or in device manager. However I did notice that in ''other devices'' it shows Raid controller with an exclamation symbol over it. When I go to properties it reads:

''The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.''

I can't update the driver though when I try to search for driver updates. I'm not sure if this is actually related to the hard drive.

My question is: If I had set my hard drive to raid in my old PC, do I have to download the raid driver on my new one, and then turn it on in BIOS in order for the hard drive to show up when I connect it in a USB hard drive enclosure?

Lutfij

Titan
Did you connect the drive to a PC's available SATA port? If so, what did you set your storage controller on your PC? As for your question, hardware RAID is taken care of by the storage controller, not the storage drive. With that said, if you remove the drive from a RAID array, chances are you've broken the RAID array and rebuilding it might need you to recreate the entire array from scratch(in some cases you can rebuild the array by replacing the drive with another).

I'm leaning towards the HDD being dead or the enclosures you're working with are nitpicky. Mind sharing the makes and models of the enclosures? You stated two.

JMusic7

Commendable
Mar 11, 2021
Did you connect the drive to a PC's available SATA port? If so, what did you set your storage controller on your PC? As for your question, hardware RAID is taken care of by the storage controller, not the storage drive. With that said, if you remove the drive from a RAID array, chances are you've broken the RAID array and rebuilding it might need you to recreate the entire array from scratch(in some cases you can rebuild the array by replacing the drive with another).

I'm leaning towards the HDD being dead or the enclosures you're working with are nitpicky. Mind sharing the makes and models of the enclosures? You stated two.

I tried connecting it to two or three different ports it never showed up. It was working fine in my old PC prior to taking it out. I never set the hard drive controller on the new PC. After it didn't show up I disconnected it and placed it on my desk untouched for a few months.

I don't think it's actually dead because when I reconnected it to my new PC about a week ago, I picked it up slowly to hear it and I heard the disc moving inside. I think it's possible the RAID array is broken, but I'm not sure how to rebuild it.

The enclosures are:

Wavlink WL-ST335A (actually a docking station)
Orico 3.5 inch hard drive enclosure. 3139U3/C3

JMusic7

Commendable
Mar 11, 2021
Please list full specs of your system.

Did you try multiple sata ports?
If your system has M.2 drive installed, some sata ports may be disabled.

Can you show screenshots from
Disk Management,​
Device Manager (disk drives and storage controllers sections expanded) and​
windows storage spaces?​
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor 3.79 GHz

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi)

Ram: G-Skill DDR4 32GB

Storage: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB

PSU: EVGA supernova 850 P2

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 3080 White OC Edition 10GB GDDR6X

I tried multiple ports, yes. First, second and fourth I believe.
How can I tell which ports are disabled in Windows? I enabled all the ports in BIOS when I tried installing it directly into my PC via SATA.

I did notice that I have my mode set to RAID but I changed it a few weeks back. It was originally set at AHCI. I created a system restore before changing it and tried to restore my PC to that restore point but I guess it never changed back to AHCI.
I can't remember a few months back when I tried to install the HDD the first time. I'm thinking I changed the mode and didn't realize it. Is it possible that by doing that (assuming I did), it could mess up the drive? The drive wasn't showing up in Windows or BIOS though.

Another question: If I re-install the HDD back into my old PC, could I try to take my ram out and put it back in or that not make a difference?

Screenshots:
View: https://imgur.com/a/7XTXDiy

Included in screenshots is a picture of my HDD.

Not sure if you want to see screenshots with the HDD connected by USB using the external drive enclosure or if you wanted screenshots with the HDD connected to my PC itself via SATA. These screenshots are the former.

When M.2_2 slot is populated, then SATA6G_5,SATA6G_6 will be disabled.
So if 970 evo is installed in M.2_2 then ports 5, 6 can not be used.

Also you should remove USB drive from storage spaces and delete storage pool. Do not use storage spaces for external drives.
And switch sata controller to AHCI (if that is not done already).

JMusic7

Commendable
Mar 11, 2021
When M.2_2 slot is populated, then SATA6G_5,SATA6G_6 will be disabled.
So if 970 evo is installed in M.2_2 then ports 5, 6 can not be used.

Also you should remove USB drive from storage spaces and delete storage pool. Do not use storage spaces for external drives.
And switch sata controller to AHCI (if that is not done already).

I recently connected the HDD to my PC a few weeks ago to re-test the drive and the SATA cable is still in the second SATA slot at the top. The SATA ports shouldn't be the problem.
In the storage spaces it only shows the external drive asking me if I want to create a storage pool. The drive isn't initialized. Disk management shows this. I uploaded an image of it to imgur, it should be in the collection at the end of the photo album.
Do you mean the SATA mode in BIOS when referring to SATA controller? (Sorry not especially knowledgeable when it comes to certain settings)

I recently connected the HDD to my PC a few weeks ago to re-test the drive and the SATA cable is still in the second SATA slot at the top. The SATA ports shouldn't be the problem.
Then, if drive is connected properly and sata port is not disabled,
your 1TB drive is dead.
Also sata controller in RAID mode may be preventing drive from being detected properly. There seems to be a problem with RAID drivers.
In the storage spaces it only shows the external drive asking me if I want to create a storage pool.
Do not create a storage pool.
If you have created it already, then delete it.
Do you mean the SATA mode in BIOS when referring to SATA controller? (Sorry not especially knowledgeable when it comes to certain settings)
Yes. Sata controller mode should be set to AHCI.
Note, if you installed windows with sata controller in raid mode, then windows may not boot anymore after changing controller mode.
But you have windows installed on NVME drive, so this shouldn't be a problem.

JMusic7

Commendable
Mar 11, 2021
Then, if drive is connected properly and sata port is not disabled,
your 1TB drive is dead.
Also sata controller in RAID mode may be preventing drive from being detected properly. There seems to be a problem with RAID drivers.

Do not create a storage pool.
If you have created it already, then delete it.

Yes. Sata controller mode should be set to AHCI.
Note, if you installed windows with sata controller in raid mode, then windows may not boot anymore after changing controller mode.
But you have windows installed on NVME drive, so this shouldn't be a problem.

I'm going to try switching back to AHCI mode. I created a restore point just in case, and backed up all my important files to my external HD.

Regarding my external hard drive. I did back up my old HDD that I'm trying to access again. Problem is, I can't find the files I'm looking for. I did a full backup before taking the hard drive out, but it seems only a select number of files were saved. Are all the files on the external drive, and if so, where can I find the files I'm looking for? I kept backing up files from my new PC to the external drive and now I see what appear to be duplicates of my user file on the drive. Could they have overwritten files from the old hdd or are they simply added along with the other files from the older hdd?