Jun 6, 2022
I'm having some issues with an HP Envy x360 m6 model after swapping the hard drive out for a new SSD. Laptop does not detect the new (or old) drive after performing the swap. I've fooled with the BIOS settings, looking at boot order, changing Legacy & UEFI settings, to no avail. I swapped back to the old drive to see if maybe it was the SSD, however, the old/original Hard drive is no longer detected now either.

I'm thinking that it must be an issue with the SATA strip that connects to the hard drive. I could have possibly damaged it while performing the swap. (Although I have looked at the strip and didn't notice any damage) But before I order a new strip, I wanted to ask around and see if anyone else has ran into these issues before.

I want to also ask if the SATA cables/strips for these laptops are very fragile? If it is possible to damage them without it being visibly noticeable?

Thanks!

Jun 6, 2022
Yes the SATA cable on your laptop model looks strangely fragile.

So you did reset the Bios to default setting and it still doesn't work?

I didn't reset the BIOS settings, as I only messed with Legacy and UEFI boot options. Just curious, how were you able to tell it's fragile?

Jun 6, 2022
Check the other end of the cable to see if you pulled it too hard.

With both drives not working, you have the reason to suspect the cable.

I have taken a look at the end of the cable where it connects to the drive, but I can't notice any damage. Possible for it to be so fragile it breaks without visible damage?