brencicmiodrag82

Reputable
Aug 31, 2018
I cloned all files from HDD to SSD, now I got same files on HDD and SSD. Can I simply delete all files from HDD or is there another proccess how to delete those files?

Solution
I'd take the hdd out and keep it aside for a month. If after a month you didn't need it for anything (like ssd failure, etc) and you have another backup of the data, then feel free to format it and put it back in the system as a spare drive.
I'd take the hdd out and keep it aside for a month. If after a month you didn't need it for anything (like ssd failure, etc) and you have another backup of the data, then feel free to format it and put it back in the system as a spare drive.

Solution

brencicmiodrag82

Reputable
Aug 31, 2018
I cant because ssd is only for windows and that stuff. It is only 240gb...

USAFRet

Titan
I have 2 particion, one with photos, music, videos, games and another one clone of ssd. I only need to delete everything from particion
OK.
I was just going off your original statement:
"Can I simply delete all files from HDD or is there another proccess how to delete those files? "

We out here did not know of the multiple partitions.

So, delete all partitions except the one with your data.
Of course, you should have a known good backup of this. Just in case something happens.

popatim

Titan
Always assume a drive is going to fail and have backups of important data please.

If your drive with the photo's on it dies, what then?
And trust us, they die all the time, new ones & old ones alike. This is a case where planning for the worst is good advice.

USAFRet

Titan
Exactly, so if it's still running well after a month or so, then it will probably live the life it was designed for. But if it fails after 2 weeks, you only lost 2 weeks of stuff.
haha...no.

I had a WD HDD die at 5 weeks. Seemingly perfect, 36 hours of slowing down...then dead.
Or, a Sandisk SSD. 3 years, 33 days old. Died in the space of 5 minutes. Power off, power on....dead.
33 days past the 3 year warranty. Sandisk did me a solid and gave me a new drive anyway.

Backups are to be done daily, or whatever your tolerance for loss is. A dead device should never mean data loss. Even "2 weeks".

haha...no.

I had a WD HDD die at 5 weeks. Seemingly perfect, 36 hours of slowing down...then dead.
Or, a Sandisk SSD. 3 years, 33 days old. Died in the space of 5 minutes. Power off, power on....dead.
33 days past the 3 year warranty. Sandisk did me a solid and gave me a new drive anyway.

Backups are to be done daily, or whatever your tolerance for loss is. A dead device should never mean data loss. Even "2 weeks".
That was for the OP who probably would probably be completely overwhelmed with a proper 3-2-1 backup program. :rolleyes: